Harper to Phillies

weams

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, he should have been.  Plays a premium position in SS or 3B and has accumulated more WAR thus far.  Also has shown to be more durable.  Yes, I know, knees, but he hasn't been hurt in the past 4+ years or so.  Can't say the same about Harper.

If so, this is a big fail by Boras.  I can see this being true.

At the same time, I don't believe this.  It's not like the Nats went out and found a Harper replacement, thus shutting the doors on his return.  I think if Boras comes back asking for the same deal, the Nats make it more team friendly (team opt out after year 4 or 5, no no-trade clauses, etc).

Let's not forget that Boras and Lerner have a good relationship with Boras sending a lot of FAs there.  It hasn't all been good as Wieters was viewed as a bust...but I just don't believe he hasn't heard from Boras in months.

Harper replacement?  They have Soto, Robles, Eaton, and Taylor in the OF.  And they signed a potential 30+ HR second baseman.  If they do sign him, they'll have to scramble to get their position player roster trimmed down.

Evidently, I read last night, that the initial 300M offer was heavily deferred.  Like 100M+ after year 10.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, weams said:

At this point it appears that Bryce can't top Manny.

"At this point, the Harper market is murky beyond the Phillies and the Giants, the latter of whom has reportedly only been interested on a shorter-term deal than Harper has been seeking this winter. "

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

It is very simple.  Bryce Harper has a lot of star power but he more style than substance.   He has had one great season.  That is why he isn't drawing interest, certainly minimal interest in a long term deal.  He should have accepted the Nats initial offer.  An offer which I believe Washington made as a PR move and did not expect him to accept.

42 minutes ago, weams said:

At this point it appears that Bryce can't top Manny.

"At this point, the Harper market is murky beyond the Phillies and the Giants, the latter of whom has reportedly only been interested on a shorter-term deal than Harper has been seeking this winter. "

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

These guys don’t really know anything.    We’ve heard so many rumors about the market for both Manny and Harper.     I still think Harper will end up topping Manny, but who knows?    I’m pretty tired of the topic and hope Harper signs soon so we can move on to something else.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, he should have been.  Plays a premium position in SS or 3B and has accumulated more WAR thus far.  Also has shown to be more durable.  Yes, I know, knees, but he hasn't been hurt in the past 4+ years or so.  Can't say the same about Harper.

Yeah, frankly I was baffled at the higher valuation of Harper by some for what seemed to be speculation on his ceiling.

45 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Harper replacement?  They have Soto, Robles, Eaton, and Taylor in the OF.  And they signed a potential 30+ HR second baseman.  If they do sign him, they'll have to scramble to get their position player roster trimmed down.

Evidently, I read last night, that the initial 300M offer was heavily deferred.  Like 100M+ after year 10.

Good calls, forgot about Eaton and Robles.  

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If you're the Phillies you're the only team who can come close to what he wants, Why bid against yourself? On the other hand the fan base expects a big signing.

Andy supposedly is just fine with were they are. 

7 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Ya the Nats are absolutely set in the outfield.  Taylor as a fourth outfielder too.  

Yep. Most Nats fan want Harper. At least on Twitter. Not me. Overrated. Smug. Selfish. Called out fans for leaving for the metro bc they have to work...I want him out of DC. Philadelphia & Harper deserve each other:) He wants to play on the west coast though.

Boras is awful for baseball. He overplayed his hand as usual. Should have taken Nats deal (glad he didn’t). 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Yep. Most Nats fan want Harper. At least on Twitter. Not me. Overrated. Smug. Selfish. Called out fans for leaving for the metro bc they have to work...I want him out of DC. Philadelphia & Harper deserve each other:) He wants to play on the west coast though.

Boras is awful for baseball. He overplayed his hand as usual. Should have taken Nats deal (glad he didn’t). 

I don't think he's awful and I don't think he usually overplays his hand.

I do think he hasn't adjusted fully to the new paradigm.

12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

If I was a Nats fan his perm would have been the final straw for me. https://i.redd.it/0feeu5m1bry11.jpg

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These guys don’t really know anything.    We’ve heard so many rumors about the market for both Manny and Harper.     I still think Harper will end up topping Manny, but who knows?    I’m pretty tired of the topic and hope Harper signs soon so we can move on to something else.

I want to know why Dallas Keuchel isn't signed yet.

27 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, frankly I was baffled at the higher valuation of Harper by some for what seemed to be speculation on his ceiling.

Ceiling often seems to be valued more highly than likelihood of reaching that ceiling.  The Orioles signed Chris Davis on the assumption that he'd be more a 4- or 5-win player than the  1.7-win guy he'd been two and four years prior.  The Mariners signed Adrian Beltre on the basis of his 1.000 OPS walk year, instead of the 2- or 3- win player he'd been the prior four years.  Some team always convinces themselves that with their coaches and their fans and their talent there's no way this guy won't approach his ceiling.

But Harper is really in a class by himself.  There are few players who randomly have consecutive seasons where you have no idea if he's going to be below-average or the clear MVP.

42 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Ya the Nats are absolutely set in the outfield.  Taylor as a fourth outfielder too.  

Perhaps, but depending upon what/whom you read and believe, Harper is fast projecting as a 1B, possibly much sooner than later. 

Question is, if that’s the case, what to do with Zimmerman? Struggled with injuries last season, but is only one year removed from a .900+ OPS, 3.3 WAR line. On the other hand, he'll be turning (an arguably old) 35 during the season. They also brought back Matt Adams, albeit only on a one-year deal, so he needs to be accounted for.

I remain somewhat confident that Harper will stay with Washington - there's just too much history between management and Boras that makes me believe that if the agent would compromise with any team, it'd be this one. That said, it’s going to take some financial and positional nimbleness to make it all work. I think they’ll figure it out somehow.

24 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I want to know why Dallas Keuchel isn't signed yet.

...because he's basically Jake Arrieta 2.0 and trending in the wrong direction? I'm sure he wants something like a 5 - 6 year deal and thinks he's an elite pitcher, but he isn't. Cobb is a good comp. and he only got a three year deal. Until Keuchel and his agent scale back their expectations I don't think teams will aggressively pursue him. 

Archived