New Tech: Rapsodo and Edgertronic

weams

For pitching, the new upgrade is also focused on providing better data through software and user interface improvements. Pitchers and coaches can now see how different pitches compare out of the hand, so pitchers can work to ensure that different pitches come out of the same “pitching tunnel.” Data has also been tweaked to ensure that it matches the ways that Statcast measures pitches. Chou said one of the biggest points of feedback Rapsodo received from MLB teams was the need to have data directly correspond to the ways Statcast/Trackman measures it so that pitchers can see a direct relationship between Statcast/Trackman and Rapsodo data.

For hitting, the improvements are much more focused on the software and user interface. The original Rapsodo hitting unit took roughly five seconds to display the data after the ball was hit. That quickly proved to be longer than hitters or coaches wanted to wait in a batting practice setting and also meant that sometimes the next hit wouldn’t be tracked because the unit was still processing the previous hit.

• Luke-OH changed the title to New Tech: Rapsodo and Edgertronic
Just now, weams said:

For those more scouting inclined Yusniel Diaz has been bouncing baseballs off parked cars all week. Beware. 

I wish they'd quote the EVs of the BP home runs, because just the act of hitting BP home runs isn't a big deal for anyone in MLB spring training. Now if Diaz was hitting a handful 110mph shots, that'd be a big deal, and a good indicator that either he's gotten stronger or improved his mechanics. 

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I wish they'd quote the EVs of the BP home runs, because just the act of hitting BP home runs isn't a big deal for anyone in MLB spring training. Now if Diaz was hitting a handful 110mph shots, that'd be a big deal, and a good indicator that either he's gotten stronger or improved his mechanics. 

He says he's stronger and Roch tends to agree:

"It’s hard to imagine Díaz showing up in better shape after working out in Miami. The kid is solid as a rock. Muscle overlapping more muscle.

Díaz is listed a 6 foot 1 and 195 pounds, but he appears a little shorter and stockier.

“The offseason went really well,” he said. “I was able to work on my hitting mechanics, I was able to strengthen my body a little bit more, so I think it was a really good offseason for me.

“I maintained the same weight. The difference is I added more muscle to my frame.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/hearing-from-hyde-and-diaz-following-the-latest-orioles-workout.html

While I certainly want the Orioles to be at the forefront of using analytics and technology to endance performance and decision making, there’s a part of me that sort of cringes about the extent to which the game is being taken over by data.     It’s sort of like being able to use a thesaurus and a dictionary while doing a crossword puzzle.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I certainly want the Orioles to be at the forefront of using analytics and technology to endance performance and decision making, there’s a part of me that sort of cringes about the extent to which the game is being taken over by data.     It’s sort of like being able to use a thesaurus and a dictionary while doing a crossword puzzle.   

I like it, it gives me the same type of feeling that looking through stats and box scores in the newspaper did when I was a kid.

Archived