New Tech: Rapsodo and Edgertronic

weams

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I certainly want the Orioles to be at the forefront of using analytics and technology to endance performance and decision making, there’s a part of me that sort of cringes about the extent to which the game is being taken over by data.     It’s sort of like being able to use a thesaurus and a dictionary while doing a crossword puzzle.   

It has felt almost like other teams have been cheating against us for years.  It honestly has.  Night and day difference when an organization opens up to the info versus adamantly denying it’s viability.

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I like it, it gives me the same type of feeling that looking through stats and box scores in the newspaper did when I was a kid.

While I hear what @Frobby is saying, we need to catch up with our competition.  It may not be "old school" but just as we didn't go after international talent due to "political or moral issues", everyone else did, so we are either forced to or find another way to compete.

I get most excited when I think about the impact stuff like this could have on turning around the development issues the organization has had for years and years.  That more than overcomes any potential longing for a simpler past.

36 minutes ago, bobmc said:

While I hear what @Frobby is saying, we need to catch up with our competition.  It may not be "old school" but just as we didn't go after international talent due to "political or moral issues", everyone else did, so we are either forced to or find another way to compete.

Like I said, I want us at the forefront of this.    Don’t get me wrong.    

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

I haven't heard anything about prototypes like this, but something that I imagine as a little bit of a technological Holy Grail that will probably be feasible one day is a pitching machine refined enough to replicate real pitches precisely.

One suggestion I heard was for a team to pay a handful of non-drafted 90mph college arms with some spin to throw regular BP on a rotating schedule. 

32 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

One suggestion I heard was for a team to pay a handful of non-drafted 90mph college arms with some spin to throw regular BP on a rotating schedule. 

usatsi-7914028.jpg

With all joking aside. Its pretty amazing how well these new pitching machines can simulate the different pitches that a pitcher throws.

Archived