James Shields

jrobb21613

I’d like to see us give Shields a shot on a one year deal. He’d fill out our rotation with him Karns, Cashner, Cobb and Bundy. Take the pressure off the young guys and allow us to fully develop our young pitching in the minors without having to rush them to soon. He’s wad an innings eater last year having threw just over 200 and maybe analytics could do his production some good.

• James Shields, SP: No, he’s not a very exciting pitcher anymore. But the 37-year-old is as durable as they come and would make for a respected member of any staff. He gutted out 204 2/3 innings of 4.53 ERA pitching last year, but might be somewhat more effective if utilized in a more limited capacity.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If his first half is respectable we can then move him at the deadline along with Cobb and Cashner allow for for the young guys then come up and finish out the season. Even if he doesn’t pitch well I don’t think he’s going to cost us a lot so we’ll  be able to release him without it hurting us bad financially

Just now, wildcard said:

I would like to see Hess get a chance to start.   I hope the O's give him a chance to develop as a starter.

I agree but I still see plenty of room for development there and think that development might be best at Norfolk whether than Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just in having anti-PED folks who inexplicably have no issue with Colon using.

Well, Baltimore is hardly a land of innocence in that regard...  Still, I sense, CoC, that you may have been permanently inured at an early age against the social injustices that surround us...  Santa Claus not real... Watergate... The intractable failure of the food pyramid at ensuring long term health... which was it?  Seriously, though, Shields on an inexpensive, one-year deal would be fine by me... 

10 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I agree but I still see plenty of room for development there and think that development might be best at Norfolk whether than Baltimore.

That would not be development.  He put up a 3.15 ERA, less hits than innings pitched,  1.25 WHIP and .225 avg against a AAA last season.  Then followed that with a  3.81 ERA, less hits than innings  pitched. 1.25 WHIP and  .240 avg against in the 2nd half for the O's.   He started 28 games last year and deserves the chance to do that in the majors this season.

3 minutes ago, jjnono said:

Well, Baltimore is hardly a land of innocence in that regard...  Still, I sense, CoC, that you may have been permanently inured at an early age against the social injustices that surround us...  Santa Claus not real... Watergate... The intractable failure of the food pyramid at ensuring long term health... which was it?  Seriously, though, Shields on an inexpensive, one-year deal would be fine by me... 

I'd be fine with Shields, I just don't think he has to settle for Baltimore if he wants to keep pitching.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That would not be development.  He put up a 3.15 ERA, less hits than innings pitched,  1.25 WHIP and .225 avg against a AAA last season.  Then followed that with a  3.81 ERA, less hits than innings  pitched. 1.25 WHIP and  .240 avg against in the 2nd half for the O's.   He started 28 games last year and deserves the chance to do that in the majors this season.

That’s valid and can’t say I disagree. Good point.

Archived