James Shields

jrobb21613

4 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

That might be why he’s still available holding out for a team that has shot at contending but eventually if those teams don’t come calling beggars can’t be choosers.

All waiting for the Keuchel domino to fall.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll ask what I always ask.

Why would he want to pitch here?

CRASH
                         And where can I go?

SKIP
                         You can keep going to the 
ballpark 
                         and keep gettin' paid to do it.

Beats hell outta working at 
Sears.

LARRY
                         Sears sucks, Crash, I tried it 
once.  
                         Sold Lady Kenmores -- it's nasty, 
                         nasty work.

If we're going to take a flyer on an unsigned veteran pitcher I'd rather do it on someone who has more upside risk, like Ervin Santana or Clay Buchholz.  If they work out, then you can flip them at the them at the deadline. 

Shields is a more reliable mediocre innings eater, but what's the point?  He is what he is; he might help you win 65 games instead of 63.  You can find minor league veteran types who can start games for you if you want to protect your real prospects (and we've already gotten some of those).  

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

CRASH
                         And where can I go?

SKIP
                         You can keep going to the 
ballpark 
                         and keep gettin' paid to do it.

Beats hell outta working at 
Sears.

LARRY
                         Sears sucks, Crash, I tried it 
once.  
                         Sold Lady Kenmores -- it's nasty, 
                         nasty work.

I'm pretty sure Shields wouldn't be selling kenmores.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why would he? 

Dinero, dollars, moolah.  If it is the most, he will be very much down with coming here.  If not, he will be somewhere else.  It is up to Elias really, not Shields so much.  Shields would come if we offer him,  I wouldn’t do it myself but if I did want him, I wouldn’t think much about why he wouldn’t want to come here. 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Dinero, dollars, moolah.  If it is the most, he will be very much down with coming here.  If not, he will be somewhere else.  It is up to Elias really, not Shields so much.  Shields would come if we offer him,  I wouldn’t do it myself but if I did want him, I wouldn’t think much about why he wouldn’t want to come here. 

Baltimore is not where you want to be if you want paid.

Would rather see Hess get the shot, as someone else said. Or Yacabonis, or even *shudder* Mike Wright.  This season is about seeing which of the younger players can be of any value.  Pitch em and see who's worth keeping around in 2020.

• 2 months later...

Per this Rosenthal article, the Orioles are among the teams that have looked in on Shields as he continues to look for a deal.

“No, they just call me up and they want to come see me throw,” Shields says, chuckling. “I’ve thrown in front of the Tigers and Yankees and Orioles and Indians, you name it. I’ve thrown in front of quite a few teams, especially those I feel need starting pitching.”

On 2/20/2019 at 6:41 PM, Three Run Homer said:

If we're going to take a flyer on an unsigned veteran pitcher I'd rather do it on someone who has more upside risk, like Ervin Santana or Clay Buchholz.  If they work out, then you can flip them at the them at the deadline. 

Shields is a more reliable mediocre innings eater, but what's the point?  He is what he is; he might help you win 65 games instead of 63.  You can find minor league veteran types who can start games for you if you want to protect your real prospects (and we've already gotten some of those).  

Didnt we already try Santana once before?????

Archived