If Mussina wins 20, is he a shoe-in for the Hall?

Frobby

Mike Mussina won his league-leading 13th game of the year today, tossing 8 innings of shutout ball. The Yankees have 61 games remaining, meaning that Mussina should have at least 12 more starts,and would need to win 7 of them to win 20. In other words, if maintains the same pace he has set in his first 21 starts, he'll be a 20-game winner for the first time.

There have been dozens of threads over the years regarding whether Moose is or isn't Hall-worthy. Those who oppose him usually cite three strikes against him: (1) no Series rings, (2) no Cy Youngs, (3) never won 20 games. If he knocks off that third requirement, is he in?

By the way, 20 wins this year would mean 270 total wins.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he gets his 20-win season, and 300 career victories, he's likely in...but not on the first ballot.
There is absolutely no chance a 300-game winner wouldn't be a first-ballot HOFer. Thats a crazy notion.

I don't think getting a 20 win season will have much of an impact. Personally, I think he should be in already but to be a shoe in I think he'll need to get to 300 wins. I get the vibe is one the most overlooked and underrated players of his era and it will take the hoopla of 300 wins to get people to notice just how consistently good he was over his career.

Any idiot writer/voter who changes his vote based on one, count'em, one 20 win season, to begin with, shouldn't have a vote.

Moose has twelve starts, tops, left. To date he has thirteen wins in twenty-two starts. At this pace, he could meet the 20 win milestone.

If Moose wins 20 in a season, he's likely to add a Cy Young as well. That would make it a shoe-in for me.

1. (for everyone) ShOO-in :cussing:

:P

Any idiot writer/voter who changes his vote based on one, count'em, one 20 win season, to begin with, shouldn't have a vote.

2. If we were being honest in this way, 3/5 of the writers wouldn't have votes :laughlol:

If Moose wins 20 in a season, he's likely to add a Cy Young as well. That would make it a shoe-in for me.

He's very unlikely to get a CY this year, he's only 10th in ERA.

He should get in regardless, but I don't think he's a lock unless he does get to 300 wins. The perception of him is not one of a dominant pitcher, just a good to very pitcher for a long time.

Archived