Núñez vs. Ruiz

Frobby

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1989 Orioles starting lineups.

They (Anderson, Finley, Devereaux) actually never started a game together in 1989.  Mainly because Phil Bradley started 138 games in left.  Finley was the only one of the three to start in left at all, and that was just three games.

It would be more challenging to go through box scores and see if they played together later in games after subs.  

Already did that.   7 times.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nice.  On my machine it's just the spinning "nothing happening" indication. Will fix.

Will we ever return to Nunez vs. Ruiz?  Axing for a buddy @interloper.  @Tony-OH really wants Renato to look "serviceable" and Ruiz needs to field a bit better if he wants to stay in the competition.  I know it's only the first week ....  ?

Honestly, if Nunez can develop into a serviceable defender that would be huge. I think there's a bit more wiggle room defensively at third (if Nunez can make the plays he's supposed to) given Iglesias is at SS. Nunez at 3B opens up more for Mancini at 1B/DH and clears a path for Mountcastle and eventually Diaz. While 3B is a rather deep position in baseball right now, it does also make Nunez a bit more marketable come July should he prove he can do a bit more than just stand at the spot. We will see.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Honestly, if Nunez can develop into a serviceable defender that would be huge. I think there's a bit more wiggle room defensively at third (if Nunez can make the plays he's supposed to) given Iglesias is at SS. Nunez at 3B opens up more for Mancini at 1B/DH and clears a path for Mountcastle and eventually Diaz. While 3B is a rather deep position in baseball right now, it does also make Nunez a bit more marketable come July should he prove he can do a bit more than just stand at the spot. We will see.

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”

Nunez is embarrassingly bad. I think Pedro Alvarez is the worst defender I’ve ever actually watched, but Nunez is every bit as bad. Ruiz is bad too, but he’s a real third baseman, and not a caricature. I understand that Nunez can hit but I don’t want him at 3B under any circumstances. DH or -maybe-1B, where hes probably also bad. If Ruiz is unplayable because of his bat, well, fine, but the answer is “someone else” and not “Nunez.”

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nunez only had 64 Innings at 3rd in 2019, compared to 1000+ combined, in 2018-2019. Its early in ST. He’s a little rusty, and he had the shoulder injury last year. 

If there was ever a team to find out if Nunez can “play” passable defense at 3B, it’s this one. 30+ HR buys you lots of opportunities. What’s he going to do, cost us a playoff spot?

To be clear, I do want Nunez getting the chance to put up a 30 homerun season.  I just want him to do it as a DH.  His primary glove should be a batting glove, not a fielder's glove.  Forcing guys to play positions that they're not suited for - i.e., Mancini in the outfield and Nunez in the infield - forces me to watch worse baseball than is really necessary.    We have some decent pieces on this roster or very near ML ready, but Davis forces us to use them improperly.  We're not putting them in a position to succeed.  And, I understand that it's not likely to change.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”

Nunez is embarrassingly bad. I think Pedro Alvarez is the worst defender I’ve ever actually watched, but Nunez is every bit as bad. Ruiz is bad too, but he’s a real third baseman, and not a caricature. I understand that Nunez can hit but I don’t want him at 3B under any circumstances. DH or -maybe-1B, where hes probably also bad. If Ruiz is unplayable because of his bat, well, fine, but the answer is “someone else” and not “Nunez.”

I’d rather keep giving Nunez chances in spring training.     His defensive stats were “mixed” in 2018* when he played a good bit.   He looked pitiful last spring but was dealing with a sore arm, so I’d at least like to see how he looks when he’s healthy.    Granted, the early returns this spring are not promising, but the first four days of spring training games aren’t the best basis for judgment (heck, even Iglesias made an error yesterday).   I’d rather know how Nunez is looking in mid-March after getting some consistent reps.     

I want to emphasize, I’m not optimistic about the outcome.   But this is what spring training is for.   

*  2018 advanced metrics: 

UZR: +3.9

Rtot: 0

Rdrs: -1

OAA: -8

• Upvote 3

Just now, Frobby said:

I’d rather keep giving Nunez chances in spring training.     His defensive stats were “mixed” in 2018* when he played a good bit.   He looked pitiful last spring but was dealing with a sore arm, so I’d at least like to see how he looks when he’s healthy.    Granted, the early returns this spring are not promising, but the first four days of spring training games aren’t the best basis for judgment (heck, even Iglesias made an error yesterday).   I’d rather know how Nunez is looking in mid-March after getting some consistent reps.     

I want to emphasize, I’m not optimistic about the outcome.   But this is what spring training is for.   

*  2018 advanced metrics: 

UZR: +3.9

Rtot: 0

Rdrs: -1

OAA: -8

If you ran for Congress, I’d be inclined to vote for you. You have facts, and you’re reasonable...even if you’re WRONG WRONG. WRONG!!!!!

SO WRONG!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Nunez is embarrassingly bad. I think Pedro Alvarez is the worst defender I’ve ever actually watched,

That would be Jimmy Parades.

There's no reason why this team won't give Nunez every opportunity to play 3B.  The only reason they didn't last year is because he was hurt.  If we're going to run CD out there, we might as well run Nunez out there too.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think Pedro Alvarez is the worst defender I’ve ever actually watched, but Nunez is every bit as bad.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My vote goes to Jeff Stone, who played in the first 20 games of the Orioles’ 21-game losing streak that opened the 1988 season, before being sent to the minors.   Never saw a worse judge of fly balls.   He racked up a -6 Rtot in only 130 innings of outfield play.     And, he was personally responsible for extending the O’s losing streak beyond 8 games by missing a fly ball with 2 outs in the 9th in Game 9 to allow the winning run to score.   (OK, it was a tie game so the O’s probably would have found some other way to lose if he’d caught it.)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There's no reason why this team won't give Nunez every opportunity to play 3B.  The only reason they didn't last year is because he was hurt.  If we're going to run CD out there, we might as well run Nunez out there too.  

Parades was bad, But Nunez looks like he’s going to trip over his own feet every time he takes a step. Trumbo was the outfield equivalent,  but if someone with more time on their hands than I have made a video of boneheaded infield plays, Nunez might be on it.