Eye On The Prize - Blow It Up

hoosiers

The problem with this is that Jordan has only been running our drafts for four drafts and the current "plan" as set forth by McPhail has only been in place one year. The preceding front office personnel and "plans" have been less than competent so going back ten years is somewhat misleading. I would also say that an argument could be made that Roberts, Maine, and several others have made contributions although all but Roberts could be argued depnding on your definition of "real".

Not really ... even with Jordan chosing over that period we may have hit on a guy we had passed on but the guys that Tampa selected would still be gone.

Everyone hits on some picks after the 1st round. Some teams are better than others at it. The main reason the O's are void of positional talent is they haven't done as well as most teams. They've made some really bad picks in the 1st round over that period Hale,Smith, Paradis, Townsend etc etc. Basically what I had responded to was the point that we need to do it the way Tampa did post. To have the talent they picked up just in the 1st round the last ten years would be impossible even in the next 10 unless we were to be a bottom feeder (worst two or three teams). Otherwise the talent level of those picks will be gone to other teams before we select at our usual selection between 8 & 13. Basically you can pick Ken Griffey if he's already been selected before you pick. As for Mcphails role & the just a year point. I agree with you whats refreshing s that at least he can rebuild & or make deals without having his hands tied like many before him. But I am in the group that thinks we should move the 30ish guys as I dont believe we will have the other guys in place to be competative year in & year out. Maybe you get there with Roberts, Scott, Huff, Sherrill in their mid to late 30's. Way on the down side. I'd prefer a roster of young guys that can grow & play together. Because of the barren farm system (position players) the only chips we have are the guys at the mahors that teams may want .

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has Olson done to make you think that he is part of our ultimate solution?

He held Boston and New York to 6 hits and 2 runs over 12 innings in back to back starts early this season on his way to a 5 - 1 record and 3.26 ERA over his first 44+ innings.

That's what he's done.

Now you can use his last 40 innings (prior to last nites win) as definitive justification for dumping the guy, but I'd say that its at least as likely that the real Olson is the guy from the first half of the season as it is that he's the guy from the last half.

You have to give him time at the big league level to learn and make adjustments in his game before we mark him as a bust. Anything else would be unreasonable.

I think it's exactly accurate. We were gonna have kids in the rotation, which is what's happened, and they're taking their lumps, which was predictable, and lots of people are freaking about it. So, what's your point?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was one of the strongest proponents of the Bedard / Tejada trades (and for trading all of our expiring veteran contracts now) and I couldn't be happier with the fact that we're playing Jones, Olson, Liz, JJ and other youngsters.

I've never "freaked out" about Liz or Olson and posted a thread just a few days ago suggesting that people relax and give the kids the benefit of the doubt because we all knew that most of the young guys would struggle at times this year.

I never worried about Adam Jones and his slow start at the plate. It was clear that he was an exceptional talent and that it would take time and experience for him to harness his skills at the big league level.

You will not find a single post on these boards from me bemoaning the fact that we've dumped vets for youth or "freaking out" about our young players performance thus far.

In fact - you'll find nothing but post after post of me continuing to call for more of the same - trade / cut more vets to acquire more young talent and to clear room on the ML roster to allow our youngsters to play.

And for the most part, I believe the other "blow it up" crowd members have behaved in the exact same way. I know that SG has never backpedaled on his stance and the only people I routinely see "freaking out" tend to be uninformed posters who are desperate for the O's to win now despite the general consensus in the front office and amongst informed fans that the O's are in full rebuilding mode.

The "win now" crowd is who you should be smacking around for "freaking out" about Liz, Olson and company. The "blow it up" people knew this was going to happen and are generally prepared for the struggles that a full scale youth movement will entail.

So admit that you were wrong and move on.

You will not find a single post on these boards from me bemoaning the fact that we've dumped vets for youth or "freaking out" about our young players performance thus far.

In fact - you'll find nothing but post after post of me continuing to call for more of the same - trade / cut more vets to acquire more young talent and to clear room on the ML roster to allow our youngsters to play.

So what? Being consistent in your opinion doesn't mean it's either right or wrong. Nor does it mean that lotsa folks haven't been freaking out because we've got kid-P's in the rotation taking their lumps. They get shelled and lotsa folks say they'll never be anything but BP fodder, but when they do well (like Olson just did, beating the Angels when the 2 experienced guys didn't), and there's very little said. When you point out he did fine, some folks have nothing to say except for "that doesn't prove anything... he needs to show me more."

So admit that you were wrong and move on.

If I believed I was wrong, I would. But I think I am correct. You don't have to agree.

As for the comment about how I should "move on", you just dug up a thread where I posted some days ago, and then you tell me to move on?

So what? Being consistent in your opinion doesn't mean it's either right or wrong. Nor does it mean that lotsa folks haven't been freaking out because we've got kid-P's in the rotation taking their lumps. They get shelled and lotsa folks say they'll never be anything but BP fodder, but when they do well (like Olson just did, beating the Angels when the 2 experienced guys didn't), and there's very little said. When you point out he did fine, some folks have nothing to say except for "that doesn't prove anything... he needs to show me more."

If I believed I was wrong, I would. But I think I am correct. You don't have to agree.

As for the comment about how I should "move on", you just dug up a thread where I posted some days ago, and then you tell me to move on?

I think you are 100% wrong that its been largely the people whom you call the "blow it up crowd" that are complaining about the performance of the team and the young guys on it. If anything, some of the "blow it up" crowd are complaining that we still don't have enough kids, calling for guys like Reimold, Wieters, Penn, Bergesen, Hernandez, and Montanez to be called up.

I think you are 100% wrong that its been largely the people whom you call the "blow it up crowd" that are complaining about the performance of the team and the young guys on it. If anything, some of the "blow it up" crowd are complaining that we still don't have enough kids, calling for guys like Reimold, Wieters, Penn, Bergesen, Hernandez, and Montanez to be called up.

That's absolutely correct. The Blow It Up crowd accepts the growing pains. We don't care a bit about winning this year. We care about building an organization long term, and realize you can't get there without a little pain right now.

Rshack is partially right and partially wrong.

People on this site have been freaking out about the young pitching....Calling for them to be sent down, traded, moved to the pen, whatever....

What he is wrong about is WHO is calling for it.

I for one have said I am not worried at all about the young arms. This is what this year and maybe even next year is all about...It is the exact reason why I hate when everyone says "rome wasn't built in a day". We need to get the young kids the time now so that when it is time for us to really make our move, they have taken their lumps and are ready to take their games to that next level.

Then I guess you simply aren't paying attention. Either that, or you are confused about who is in the "blow it up" crowd, but obviously I don't know that if that's the case since you never reveal who exactly you're bashing.

The Blow It Up crowd accepts the growing pains.

Well, I guess it mostly depends on who's got a membership card in the "Blow It Up Crowd".

Seems like you're mighty selective about who's in and who's not.

Where's the membership list?

Well, I guess it mostly depends on who's got a membership card in the "Blow It Up Crowd".

Seems like you're mighty selective about who's in and who's not.

Where's the membership list?

That's hilarious coming from you.:laughlol:

Archived