JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR. JOHN DWIGHSMITHJR.

o

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree it seems like a mystery.   

Seems like the Jays thought he was much like DJ Stewart. Kind of a 1st rd bust. Avg to below defense, even in the corners. They didn’t care about the base running. Not eye popping athleticism. Seems like they wanted to go with “higher ceiling” players. 

The guy just plays the game the right way. Consistent good ABs and he’s hitting from the top of the order. 

Great pickup. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like the Jays thought he was much like DJ Stewart. Kind of a 1st rd bust. Avg to below defense, even in the corners. They didn’t care about the base running. Not eye popping athleticism. Seems like they wanted to go with “higher ceiling” players. 

The guy just plays the game the right way. Consistent good ABs and he’s hitting from the top of the order. 

Great pickup. 

I can kinda see it from their perspective and basically what you were saying: 747 OPS in minor league career. Not a big HR hitter. Average OBP. 

Makes me feel like he's probably due for a pretty good regression. But he's been a great pick up for us and we've got room to see if he can blossom in MLB. From my amateur eye test, his game looks pretty good. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yes. Yes he is worth a look.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree it seems like a mystery.   

He's 26, he has over 3000 minor league plate appearances and a .747 OPS, and he's primarily a corner outfielder.  His brief major league trials have been dramatically better than his minor league resume would suggest.  

Last year he and Cedric Mullins had the same OPS in AAA.  Except that Mullins is a year younger, can handle CF, and played in a terrible hitter's park.  Joey Rickard's career AAA OPS is 50 points higher than Smith's, and that's all at Norfolk, too.  Mike Yastrzemski is a few years older but his AAA OPS is just three points lower than Smith's, and he was let go by the Orioles.

It is exceptionally rare for a player to hit .100 points better in the majors than in AAA.  Even more rare for someone who wasn't rushed through the minors.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 26, he has over 3000 minor league plate appearances and a .747 OPS, and he's primarily a corner outfielder.  His brief major league trials have been dramatically better than his minor league resume would suggest.  

Last year he and Cedric Mullins had the same OPS in AAA.  Except that Mullins is a year younger, can handle CF, and played in a terrible hitter's park.  Joey Rickard's career AAA OPS is 50 points higher than Smith's, and that's all at Norfolk, too.  Mike Yastrzemski is a few years older but his AAA OPS is just three points lower than Smith's, and he was let go by the Orioles.

It is exceptionally rare for a player to hit .100 points better in the majors than in AAA.  Even more rare for someone who wasn't rushed through the minors.

?‍♂️ Baseball! 

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yeah, it’s an anomaly.    And it probably won’t last.    But I’m enjoying it while it does.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s an anomaly.    And it probably won’t last.    But I’m enjoying it while it does.  

He's probably due for regression, along with Nunez and others. 

Then again, where's the hole in his swing? He can use all fields. He has a good eye. He's also stated he changed some things about his swing I believe. So if the change is recent, maybe that's the reason for the anomaly. Wouldn't be the first time a guy has worked on changing his swing and turned into a different player. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He's probably due for regression, along with Nunez and others. 

Then again, where's the hole in his swing? He can use all fields. He has a good eye. He's also stated he changed some things about his swing I believe. So if the change is recent, maybe that's the reason for the anomaly. Wouldn't be the first time a guy has worked on changing his swing and turned into a different player. 

Our own Jose Bautista!  Or maybe not.  I'd be fine with an average LFer who doesn't flip his bat and get cold-cocked by Rougned Odor.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2