Dwight Smith Jr worth a look?

jamalshw

• 2 weeks later...

o

BALTIMORE O RIOLES )))))) (vs. MARINERS, 6/20)

Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque - 2B

Anthony Santander - RF

Pedro Severino De Leon - C

JOHDWIGHT SMITHJR. - LF

Renato Nunez - DH

Rio Ruiz - 1B

Hanser Joel Alberto Pena - 3B

Keon Broxton - CF

Richie Martin - SS

Dylan Matthew Bundy - RHP )) (3-8, 4.44 ERA)

OPPOSINPITCHER

T.J. Scott - RHP )) (0-0, 7.71 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

On 3/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, Tony-OH said:

Yaz meet Dwight Smith Jr., Dwight Smith Jr., meet Yaz. You guys are the same player.

There was a certain troll (who is gone now) who kept bringing this up when Dwight smith Jr. Started off hot.

2019 MLB stats

Dwight Smith Jr.   : .246/.296/.456/.752 , -10 Rdrs/yr
Mike Yastrzemski: .264./325/.472/.797, 22 Rdrs/YR

2019 Statcast
Dwight Smith Jr.  :  5.6% Barrel%, 88     EV, .246 xBA, .407 xSLG, 38.8% hard hit, WOBA .321, xWOBA .306 
Mike Yastrzemski: 9.8% Barrell%, 87.3 EV, .209 xBA, .390 xSLG, 33.3% hard hit, WOBA, .341, xWOBA .288

2019 Statcast Speed and defense

Dwight Smith Jr.  :  26.2 sprint speed (37.1% MLB), OOA -6, (-.4 reaction, -2.5 burst, -0.2 route), catch % added -5
Mike Yastrzemski: 27.9 sprint speed (79.2% MLB) OOA 1, ( -1.1 reaction, -0.6 burst, 0.7 route), catch % added 3

Although Smith has more playing time than Yastrzemski, Yaz had 80 PAs now so some of his data is useful for comparison sakes. What do i see from the numbers?

Smith get the advantage of hitting the ball harder more than Yaz, but Yaz barrels more balls. Overall though, when you look at them, they are similar batters and even though Yaz has outperformed him so far, I'm thinking over time Smith will have a slightly better but similar bat.

When it comes to speed and defense it's not even close. Yaz is much faster and plays better defense in every respect over Smith Jr. who is a well below average defender.

I doubt either is a player of the future here, but I'd rather have Yaz in CF than Broxton or Wilkerson at this point. 

Yaz is two years older than Smith, so I can understand why he get the look instead of Yaz, but at the end of the day, they are similar players offensively, but Yaz is actually much better in speed and defense making him the better overall player. So if I missed on this comparison at all, it's that I underestimated Yaz's full game while not having enough information on Smith's speed an defense.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

o

Dwight really needed this one, almost as badly as Bundy and the rest of his teammates needed it.

(vs. DIAMONDBACKS, 7/23)

NUMBER 12

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR. JOHN DWIGHSMITHJR.

o

18 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

DJ Stewart is flat out raking in Norfolk. Would really like to see him promoted and then option Dwight Smith Jr. 

In his last 10 games, Stewart has hit four homers, but his BA is only .220 (9 for 41, with 4 BBs, 10 Ks). Not quite "raking" according to my sense of the word.

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

In his last 10 games, Stewart has hit four homers, but his BA is only .220 (9 for 41, with 4 BBs, 10 Ks). Not quite "raking" according to my sense of the word.

Fair enough. I suppose I'm looking more at the full body of work, but I would still say he should be up and DSJ should be down. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

o

This was Smith Jr's first Home Run in 2 months. He was injured for a portion of that time.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/24)

NUMBER 13

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR. JOHN DWIGHSMITHJR.

o