Mexican agreement

weams

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow, amazing.  More places the useless slot money could be spent.

Who was it that said this might happen?

The defining characteristic of a troll is the clear and repeated agenda. You're starting to resemble one with this stuff, just sayin! You might be right eventually, but it's way too early to call it as definitively as you continue to do. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The defining characteristic of a troll is the clear and repeated agenda. You're starting to resemble one with this stuff, just sayin! You might be right eventually, but it's way too early to call it as definitively as you continue to do. 

There is now no doubt that I was correct when I postulated that this might happen.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Does this make available anyone we want?

Fernando Villalobos and Florencio Serrano are the big names.

The Cubs had a deal with Serrano fall through and the Brewers are rumored to be the favorite for Villalobos. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Fernando Villalobos and Florencio Serrano are the big names.

The Cubs had a deal with Serrano fall through and the Brewers are rumored to be the favorite for Villalobos. 

I love Serranos.

Serrano-web.jpg

The deal apparently is:
- Mexican players are now eligible for free agency after six professional seasons
- The transfer fee for signing a Mexican League player still under contract is now fixed at either 15% of the MLB contract value, or 35% of the signing bonus for a minor league contract
- Players still under contract can only leave with permission of their current team

Questions:
- What were the Mexican League free agency rules previously?
- Prior to this couldn't a MLB team negotiate a transfer fee with a Mexican club for the rights to a player?  Is there any reason a fixed percentage is better?
- Is any of this impacted by MLB's classification of the Mexican League as a AAA league (despite it not being that by quality of play)?

There appear to have only been 17 Mexican-born players in MLB in 2018, 14 of them pitchers.  Perhaps this deal will increase that number, although that's not clear.  I'm sure the Mexican League was looking for a way to balance fair prices for the players they have under contract with limiting an exodus of quality players from their league, much like Japan has struggled with.

Archived