Mexican agreement

weams

3 hours ago, byrdz said:

Don't we still have a ton of international slot money compared to most teams?

Doesn’t seem like we want to spend any of it on acquiring significant international players.   Just trading for minor leaguers and the occasional small potatoes signing.    Until proven otherwise.   I’m not criticizing that, just observing it.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t seem like we want to spend any of it on acquiring significant international players.   Just trading for minor leaguers and the occasional small potatoes signing.    Until proven otherwise.   I’m not criticizing that, just observing it.

What significant pieces are left? 

I would like to know our offer to Sanchez if one was made.  

8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Mexican place California Tortilla has a shelf of all different makes of hot sauces, and my favorite label, was "Colon Cleaner"

colon-cleanser-6oz-flask-1.gif

I have a pantry shelf of hot sauces.  That's a pretty good one.

11 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The deal apparently is:
- Mexican players are now eligible for free agency after six professional seasons
- The transfer fee for signing a Mexican League player still under contract is now fixed at either 15% of the MLB contract value, or 35% of the signing bonus for a minor league contract
- Players still under contract can only leave with permission of their current team

Questions:
- What were the Mexican League free agency rules previously?
- Prior to this couldn't a MLB team negotiate a transfer fee with a Mexican club for the rights to a player?  Is there any reason a fixed percentage is better?
- Is any of this impacted by MLB's classification of the Mexican League as a AAA league (despite it not being that by quality of play)?

There appear to have only been 17 Mexican-born players in MLB in 2018, 14 of them pitchers.  Perhaps this deal will increase that number, although that's not clear.  I'm sure the Mexican League was looking for a way to balance fair prices for the players they have under contract with limiting an exodus of quality players from their league, much like Japan has struggled with.

I think the intent of the fixed percentage is to make sure more of the total money spent on a player is counted against a team's international signing pool allotment (and perhaps an ancillary goal being more of it actually going to the player). Previously, the signing bonus and transfer fee were murkily commingled, with the Mexican League teams taking cuts (often like 75%) of the "signing bonus". But only the amount that actually went to the player was counted against the MLB team's international pool allotment. This was creating a back door way for teams to spend money on very young and flashy players....and for Mexican League teams to make money on very young and flashy players.  I agree, this all might be semantics.....it will be interesting to see what happens in practice.

I am not sure, but I think the rules governing when a player becomes a foreign professional and thus doesn't count towards a team's international bonus allotment in any way haven't changed from what they were previously (25 years old, 6+ years experience).

Archived