O's trade International Signing Bonus Slots to Blue Jays for OF Dwight Smith Jr

LTO's

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Getting close to the quarter season mark.  Time to start wondering if DSJR is for real.

I’m a believer, but I also thought David Newhan was for real after his 2004 season.  

I’m going to enjoy the ride. One thing that gives me hope is his father was a decent ballplayer. Success at baseball is in Smith Jr’s DNA. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m a believer, but I also thought David Newhan was for real after his 2004 season.  

I’m going to enjoy the ride. One thing that gives me hope is his father was a decent ballplayer. Success at baseball is in Smith Jr’s DNA. 

I'm a believer, too.  Although I think some here will write him off because of the defense and are more interested in Diaz and others.  Prospect status counts for a lot for some.  As long as DSJR is producing, he should stay.  

I'm also a believer because his OPS is the same as it has been in his previous stints.  Small sample sizes, of course but 236 plate appearances of .849 OPS is getting hard to ignore.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm a believer, too.  Although I think some here will write him off because of the defense and are more interested in Diaz and others.  Prospect status counts for a lot for some.  As long as DSJR is producing, he should stay.  

I'm also a believer because his OPS is the same as it has been in his previous stints.  Small sample sizes, of course but 236 plate appearances of .849 OPS is getting hard to ignore.  

I noticed that too about the OPS. I know the Blue Jays have Vlad Jr., but I don’t know why they gave up on Smith Jr. 

Hope this comes back to haunt the Jays. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He was .771 OPS at AAA last year.  And .743 OPS at AAA in 2017. He never had an .849 OPS in the minors at any level.  So odds are he won’t keep up a OPS above .800.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

He was .771 OPS at AAA last year.  And .743 OPS at AAA in 2017. He never had an .849 OPS in the minors at any level.  So odds are he won’t keep up a OPS above .800.

Except his .843 OPS in 43 games with Tor before this. SSS

I think he could be a solid .750ish OPS guy for us for a few years. That has value. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

God, I love your positivity.  And people think I'M negative.  Try a little hope for once.  

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Is his defense bad?

I’ve been happily comparing comparing him to Nate Mclouth, whose defense was splendid.

McLouth was brutal defensively.  Maybe you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell online.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

God, I love your positivity.  And people think I'M negative.  Try a little hope for once.  

I mean, any other poster would give the same response, and frequently do when we talk about playing above your MiLB stats.

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I mean, any other poster would give the same response, and frequently do when we talk about playing above your MiLB stats.

The point was that he's outperformed his minor league stats for a good chunk of plate appearances now.  It's getting to a point where it shouldn't be ignored.

48 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

McLouth was brutal defensively.  Maybe you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell online.  

Nate was decent outfielder.  He  didn’t have a strong arm but was good at getting to and catching the ball when he was withe the team.

According to the sacred defensive metrics that must not be questioned...............both McLouth and Dwight Smith were/are below replacement.

McLouth was worth -.4 and -.3 dWAR for us in 2012 and 2013 respectively.    In 2012 it was through 55 games, in 2013 it was for nearly a full season (146).

Now Smith is already worth -.3 dWAR so far in 2019 so if there's truth to that then he may be more than a bit worse by September.

Archived