Orioleshangout Tournament Bracket

weams

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's certainly no Chance Sisco back there!

Frobby must not have been watching when he said 2 passed balls in 2 games for a starting catcher is unacceptable.

Like the bat of course but I’d like to see my boy Pedro tomorrow. 

Rene88 and TonySoprano now tied for the lead with 90 points.   Both picked UVA and Texas Tech for the Final Four.   TonyS still has a shot at a perfect Final Four if Michigan State and Kentucky come through today.    Rene88 already lost a FF spot with North Carolina but can keep pace or go ahead if Duke beats the Spartans.   On a cursory look, most of the other top contenders right now are “boxed out” and can’t win, but Let’sGoO’s and a few others lower down the list still have a shot.   

10 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’ve got Michigan State left, but JohnnyB has more contenders alive if they go all the way. :/

It looks like the semifinal games are worth 16 pts each, and the final is 32.   Since you both have Michigan St, you can't pass him, but you can make a huge jump in the standings.  JohnnyB is in great shape.  As I posted before, Duke was picked to win by half of the players, and Duke-NC was picked to be the game 13 times, so a lot of brackets got dented when they both lost.

I know most stopped following the tourney once their brackets blew up last weekend.   UVa double-dribbled their way to victory. But as we learned in the LSU-MD game, the refs don't remember the rules about traveling.  5 teams have UVa winning it all, but nobody picked Texas Tech.   Therefore, the OH bracket challenge has already been decided.
190104-webster-sopranos-tease_k8z3tq

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I know most stopped following the tourney once their brackets blew up last weekend.   UVa double-dribbled their way to victory. But as we learned in the LSU-MD game, the refs don't remember the rules about traveling.  5 teams have UVa winning it all, but nobody picked Texas Tech.   Therefore, the OH bracket challenge has already been decided.
190104-webster-sopranos-tease_k8z3tq

I was really rooting for Auburn to beat VA.  If that had happened we would have had a (3) T. Tech vs (5) Auburn Final.  Nobody would have picked that, especially in what was supposed to be a top heavy year.

7 hours ago, O's84 said:

I was really rooting for Auburn to beat VA.  If that had happened we would have had a (3) T. Tech vs (5) Auburn Final.  Nobody would have picked that, especially in what was supposed to be a top heavy year.

It seemed that being a #1 seed this year was like having a target on their back.  Both Duke and UVa had some very close games in their brackets they could easily have lost.  A missed tip-in basket let Duke escape Johnny Dawkins' UCF.  My guess was UVa had the extra incentive this year given they are still the only #1 to lose to a #16 in 140 tries and counting through this tournament.  1-139.  They trailed #16 Gardner Webb by 6 at halftime this year before they woke up.   Kyle Guy had ice in his veins nailing a 3 and then 3 free throws in the last 6-7 seconds vs Auburn. 

Having two #1 seeds in the final has only happened 8 of the last 40 years so taking a chance on UVa meant no UNC, Duke or Gonzaga.  That was the entirety of my "strategy" in the 20 minutes I spent on this. Auburn was the only #5 seed to win against a #12.   #12 over #5 has produced a lot of first round upsets except for last year.

You're right, a #3 vs #5 would've been a big surprise.  Texas Tech plays a top defense; Monday will be interesting.

Archived