Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

Frobby

Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/19 at 16:20

6 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

So, did you guys see the Snell deal? This is the kind of deal I like. Snell proved it in the majors first. You pay a little more, but it seems like you have less risk. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26323236/sources-rays-bank-snell-50m-deal

I would like to see Austin Hays prove he belongs in the majors before dropping tens of millions on him. 

This deal strikes me as favorable to Snell.    For example, after Corey Kluber won the Cy Young award in 2014 with about the same amount of service time as Snell, the Indians signed him for 5/$42.3 mm plus two club options at $17.5 and $18 mm.    Snell is getting $7.7 mm more over his five years, and the team doesn’t get any options.    Snell’s younger so maybe that makes him a better bet than Kluber was at the time, but it’s also very favorable to him that he’ll hit the FA market after his age 30 season.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This deal strikes me as favorable to Snell.    For example, after Corey Kluber won the Cy Young award in 2014 with about the same amount of service time as Snell, the Indians signed him for 5/$42.3 mm plus two club options at $17.5 and $18 mm.    Snell is getting $7.7 mm more over his five years, and the team doesn’t get any options.    Snell’s younger so maybe that makes him a better bet than Kluber was at the time, but it’s also very favorable to him that he’ll hit the FA market after his age 30 season.

Yep, pitchers don't take near the FA hit at 30 compared to position players.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Can_of_corn said:

5/50 is a lot more than 6/24. 

Lowe of the Rays got 6/24 on the nose.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/rays-extend-rookie-brandon-lowe/

Late Tuesday night, Ken Rosenthal reported that the Tampa Bay Rays had agreed to a six-year, $24 million contract extension with 24-year-old second baseman and outfielder Brandon Lowe. Lowe is our 46th overall prospect, the top one in the 50 FV tier, and the No. 5 prospect in a loaded Rays system.

• Upvote 1

It’s amazing how many extensions have been inked in the last week or two, both young guys and older ones.    I think a lot of players concluded they’re in no hurry to go through a winter like Manny and Harper did even if they get paid in the end, and a lot of teams decided that the waiting game didn’t really save a lot of money at the end of the day.    Personally, I like this trend and look forward to the time when the O’s determine they have some players worth committing to.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s amazing how many extensions have been inked in the last week or two, both young guys and older ones.    I think a lot of players concluded they’re in no hurry to go through a winter like Manny and Harper did even if they get paid in the end, and a lot of teams decided that the waiting game didn’t really save a lot of money at the end of the day.    Personally, I like this trend and look forward to the time when the O’s determine they have some players worth committing to.

More money to younger guys in their prime. Makes sense to me. 

On 3/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, Frobby said:

The point is, Jones hit well but didn’t take walks.    Hays doesn’t either, now, but he may learn.   And if his BA stays steady while his BA/OBA spread increases, that should lead to a better xwOBA.

Some guys are just never going to learn to take walks. Like Shaq never learned to hit free throws.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Acuna and Braves reportedly have a 8 year 100 million deal in place with 2 options.  It seems like signing guys early is the hot thing.  Hopefully we will join in that when we get some talented players to lock up.

This is an INCREDIBLE deal for the Braves. It's hard to judge Acuna, who's probably concerned about financial security for himself and his family, but he's probably leaving $150+ million on the table. Maybe more. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Acuna and Braves reportedly have a 8 year 100 million deal in place with 2 options.  It seems like signing guys early is the hot thing.  Hopefully we will join in that when we get some talented players to lock up.

37 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is an INCREDIBLE deal for the Braves. It's hard to judge Acuna, who's probably concerned about financial security for himself and his family, but he's probably leaving $150+ million on the table. Maybe more. 

Pretty similar dollars (after inflation) to the Jones contract with the Orioles, but Acuna has stronger credentials and higher upside than Jones ever did. That is a great deal for the Braves. Still, the player gets guaranteed money with nine digits, and would still hit free agency several years earlier than Jones. I think it makes sense from his standpoint, too. At a certain point, as a player, do you really care if you end up with $100M or $400M? Either way, you are set for life with more money than you could ever hope to spend.

I don't know if this type of deal was ever on the table for Manny, but I thought there was a chance he would go for something like this, especially with multiple knee injuries.  The problem now is, I can't think of anyone in our system that I would want to lock up for that many years. Hays might be the closest, but do we really know that we want him on the MLB roster for the next 6+ years?

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Pretty similar dollars (after inflation) to the Jones contract with the Orioles, but Acuna has stronger credentials and higher upside than Jones ever did. That is a great deal for the Braves. Still, the player gets guaranteed money with nine digits, and would still hit free agency several years earlier than Jones. I think it makes sense from his standpoint, too. At a certain point, as a player, do you really care if you end up with $100M or $400M? Either way, you are set for life with more money than you could ever hope to spend.

I don't know if this type of deal was ever on the table for Manny, but I thought there was a chance he would go for something like this, especially with multiple knee injuries.  The problem now is, I can't think of anyone in our system that I would want to lock up for that many years. Hays might be the closest, but do we really know that we want him on the MLB roster for the next 6+ years?

But Acuna is signing this deal much earlier in the process compared to Jones. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To put this deal into context I believe Eloy Jimenez's contract has the potential to be worth slightly more. Before the season started Jimenez had exactly zero MLB at bats. That's pretty crazy when you think about how much more accomplished Acuna is at the MLB level. And he's a year younger than Jimenez. 

• Upvote 1