The Season Has Started

weams

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted about this on the MLB forum.

The grandest day of the season is opening day, and to have opening day in another country, in the middle of our night, when no one’s paying attention except a very few people in Oakland and Seattle, and all of Japan, is beyond foolish.

I would love to watch some of that game, because I followed both teams and I’m a big fan of each era, but it was sleepy time in Texas.

Meanwhile, the Mariners are very welcome to Tim Beckham. If he makes them happy, good for them. Something tells me that he will have his month, and then…

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

I posted about this on the MLB forum.

The grandest day of the season is opening day, and to have opening day in another country, in the middle of our night, when no one’s paying attention except a very few people in Oakland and Seattle, and all of Japan, is beyond foolish.

I couldn’t disagree more.   The purpose of these games is to bolster interest in MLB in Japan, and I’m sure it did.    That’s a small price to pay for having two teams change their usual routine.    The fans of the other 28 teams are hardly affected at all.   As an Orioles fan, why do I really care if Oakland and Seattle already had their Opening Day?     I’m focused on ours, not theirs.    And both teams can still play what in effect is a home opener once they’re back.    

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t disagree more.   The purpose of these games is to bolster interest in MLB in Japan, and I’m sure it did.    That’s a small price to pay for having two teams change their usual routine.    The fans of the other 28 teams are hardly affected at all.   As an Orioles fan, why do I really care if Oakland and Seattle already had their Opening Day?     I’m focused on ours, not theirs.    And both teams can still play what in effect is a home opener once they’re back.    

It is silly to try to increase interest somewhere else by decreasing it here, Especially because it won’t increase Japanese participation, simply because our games are in the middle of their night. We have diminished the impact here without meaningfully increasing it anywhere else.

Opening day is for all of baseball, not just two teams. And It’s just not smart to have opening day In the middle of the night. 

And how do you think the guys in Seattle and Oakland feel? They play two real honest to gosh games, and then go back to spring training routine for another week...Or they do something, but it can’t possibly be anything but a major distraction.

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is silly to try to increase interest somewhere else by decreasing it here, Especially because it won’t increase Japanese participation, simply because our games are in the middle of their night. We have diminished the impact here without meaningfully increasing it anywhere else.

Apparently MLB disagrees with you about the relative impact, or they wouldn’t be doing it.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Apparently MLB disagrees with you about the relative impact, or they wouldn’t be doing it.   

Yes, I disagree with almost everything Manfred has done, Starting with taking the All-Star game from Baltimore and giving it to San Diego. He is a horrible commissioner and nothing he has done has improved the game, so yes, you are correct. The guy who makes the decisions disagrees. That certainly doesn’t mean he’s right, or even reasonable.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, I disagree with almost everything Manfred has done, Starting with taking the All-Star game from Baltimore and giving it to San Diego. He is a horrible commissioner and nothing he has done has improved the game, so yes, you are correct. The guy who makes the decisions disagrees. That certainly doesn’t mean he’s right, or even reasonable.

It was done several times before Manfred was Commissioner.     https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_games_played_outside_North_America

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Opening day is for all of baseball, not just two teams. And It’s just not smart to have opening day In the middle of the night. 

And how do you think the guys in Seattle and Oakland feel? They play two real honest to gosh games, and then go back to spring training routine for another week...Or they do something, but it can’t possibly be anything but a major distraction.

Baseball should be doing everything is can to increase interest in the sport around the world. It's great that they're reaching out to the Japanese market, which is more into baseball than the American market.  They need to continue to do outreach not only to Japan, but to Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Europe, Australia, and other places.  They need to figure out ways for domestic leagues to thrive, and not just as feeding grounds for the Majors.  Baseball will be in a far better place if there are high-level leagues in ever more countries.

Tying this event in with Ichiro is even better, he's an excellent ambassador for the game and the most successful cross-Pacific player ever.  

Archived