Elias inculcating the analytics approach with the MiL pitchers

Frobby

Nice article here about the O’s efforts to implement their analytics with the minor league pitching staff.    No state secrets given away, but they collect a lot of data on which pitches work against different types of hitters and impart that to the pitchers, customized to their repertoires.    Elias said they also will be marrying up the type of pitchers they draft with the way they want to develop their pitchers.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/03/a-look-at-how-data-and-analytics-has-come-to-the-os-farm-system.html

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston last year saw its Triple-A Fresno team rank sixth in its league in ERA at 4.27 and first in strikeouts. The Astros’ Double-A Corpus Christi team was first in ERA at 3.44 and in strikeouts. The high Single-A Buies Creek club was first in ERA at 3.07 and in strikeouts. The low Single-A Quad Cities club led its league in ERA at 2.86 and rated first in strikeouts. Houston also had similar success with its short-season clubs.

Wow.

I want to see our strikeout numbers go up over time and it’s not just going to be this year,” he said. “Because part of it involves who you are drafting. But that was part of a four-year effort to harmonize our pitcher acquisition and pitcher development. And it’s very difficult to achieve. I don’t know if we can replicate that level of success because of the competitive environment. But we had every single pitching coach on the same page using the same philosophy. The scouting department was doing it and the results were effusive.”

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice article here about the O’s efforts to implement their analytics with the minor league pitching staff.    No state secrets given away, but they collect a lot of data on which pitches work against different types of hitters and impart that to the pitchers, customized to their repertoires.    Elias said they also will be marrying up the type of pitchers they draft with the way they want to develop their pitchers.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/03/a-look-at-how-data-and-analytics-has-come-to-the-os-farm-system.html

A couple college prospects that I know of who fit into the type of player the Astros have targeted under Elias/Lunhow.

Morgan McSweeney RHP - Wake Forest, big spin rate guy, good stuff, doesn't know how to pitch yet, maybe a 3rd to 5th round guy.

Seth Johnson RHP - Campbell, converted SS, huge stuff, great mechanics, two high spin breaking balls and a high spin FB he doesn't use nearly as well as he could, good changeup too. If he's around for the O's 2nd round pick, I'd bet they'd grab him there. 

Zac Kent RHP - VMI, not the same kind of prospect as the first two but a guy with huge FB spin for the velocity (low 90s), could be a 8th-15th round type. 

Mason Studstill RHP - Florida Gulf Coast, I don't have any concrete spin data, but a solid prospect out of high school who struggled and transferred, but has been lights out this season, the fastball has serious ride up in the zone and he spins a tight late breaking CB. Probably later round guy like Kent, but could go higher if the spin data is good and the velocity ticks up.

You all can read my ongoing string of draft tidbits and thoughts here...

Thanks for sharing the article. We heard so many times that there was going to be a new version fo the "Oriole Way", but it seems we ended up with a Buck Way, a DD Way, A Brady Way, etc., etc. That all stemmed from Angelos IMO (hiring the manager first, no linear chain of command, reluctance to give any one person authority, etc.). It would be fantastic if Elias can really make this happen over the next few years. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

By the way, I have never used the word "inculcate". I'm not sure I've seen that word more than a few times. Frobby should get a Thesaurus gold star for the day! :)

I thought long and hard about using that word!   Per Webster’s:

Inculcate: to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought long and hard about using that word!   Per Webster’s:

Inculcate: to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions.

I went to dictionary.com to check. I was like 75% sure what it meant. ?

Archived