Sat July 26 LAA @ BAL

porterhouse

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's time for Liz to go down. He isn't growing AT ALL up here.

He sucks.

You can almost see the logic behind Steve Trachsel now, though I didn't agree with it and still don't on principle. But you cannot count your chickens before they hatch.

It's not that Liz & Olson won't be decent big leaguers, but they're not ready and they're showing no signs of improving.

It absolutely cannot continue. Our offense is very good and it doesn't matter because our starters throw batting practice. Bergesen, Hernandez, Berken, and Penn should all get try outs AND we need to start trading for pitchers like Reyes who was acquired for a high A ball reliever? We can't give that up?! Seriously. Unacceptable. If I was the offensive players on the O's I would start organizing a blanket party, full metal jacket style for Liz.

I really don't think Liz can stay in the rotation anymore.

He didn't pitch well in Norfolk this year, let him go down and start there for the rest of the year.

Replace Liz and Burres in the rotation with Penn and Bergesen.

I'd still leave Olson in because he dominated in AAA, unlike Liz. Sending Olson to AAA wouldn't do him any good.

The Liz experiment needs to come to a close. I hate seeing the O's have to score 8+ runs to win games in which he starts.

And for all of those people who say that the O's don't need starting pitching in the off season:

Exhibit A. Brian Burres last night

Exhibit B. Radhames Liz tonight

I know we have pitching prospects in the farm system, but wasn't Liz one of our best pitching prospects.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• My God, was your oral history book about the O's really 25 years ago?   That makes me feel really old. It was a fantastic book, I treasure it and revisit it often.   You can just jump into the middle of any section of Orioles history and read a few pages and find something interesting. It was one of my primary references when I did this little thread as a project to make the 2017-2018 offseason go by faster:  
    • Hitters can sit on the fastball and still can’t square it up when he keeps it up.  That’s a good fastball.   He seems to lose command when he starts getting tired which seems to be at 75-80 pitches. By the way, he seems like our best fielding pitcher, better than GG winner Burnes.
    • I think you're underestimating the value of an OPS around .800 in the current offensive environment. From a quick glance at BB Ref, it looks like Santander was 6th in OPS in all of baseball among players whose primary position was RF (a couple of spots lower if you include guys who spent time in RF, but it wasn't their primary position). I think Cowser and HK both have the potential to exceed that, but it's certainly not a given that one or both actually does so, especially this year.
    • Fact: John Eisenberg is one of the greatest sports writers in Baltimore history. Opinion: Eisenberg was always my favorite. Fact: He's working on a new project! Opinion: It's gotta be amazing.
    • What does this have to do with my statements? Are you excited over his start? It's ok to be disappointed in a player's start and not give up on him at all. I just will never understand why some of you feel like you need to say "there's nothing to see here" without providing any context or statistical backing. What the hell is up with the snarky lol? That's the kind of BS that pisses me off.  Basically, you are showing your fanboy status when do stuff like this. This is the Hangout. we make observations and then we back things up with pertinent stats or information. If you wanna be all fanboy and "lol" posts that give facts because the fanboy in you wants to say, "there's nothing to see here," save your typing. That kind of stuff really rubs me wrong especially when I deserve a lot more respect than you loling a factual post.  If you want to be snarky, don't do it my posts. That's disrespectful and BS.
    • Take this how you want it, but Schoop was up here for 1: a lack of better options, and 2: because despite the fact that he was an offensive zero in 2014, his defense was almost good enough to make him a passable regular despite that.  It's hard to call him rushed if he's providing positive value.   A second point of nuance that I'll bring up is that it might be worth considering minor league park effects.  This was pre-Walltimore, and pre-baseball change to the MLB baseball.  The park effects in Norfolk were so severe that for hitters, your MLE OPS was almost identical to your actual OPS.  So while his Norfolk numbers weren't great, the awful hitting environment there suggested that he might be ready for Major League pitching anyway.  (He probably wasn't, but again, lack of better options.)   If Holliday ends up being a +10 or +12 runs above average defender over the course of a whole year (and he very well might be, his OAA is already far above average) then you probably live with a .600 OPS from him, especially considering how big of a black hole 2B has been for the past 2 years.  But of course he's far below that threshold at this point.   I don't think any of this indicates that Holliday was rushed.  Machado had worse minor league numbers than Holliday at close to the same age, skipping AAA all together despite only putting an 850ish OPS there, and Machado put up a 1.3 wins in 1/3 season and 5 wins in his first full season.
    • Whether he was rushed or merely expedited or accelerated, he made his debut at a very young age with very little minor league experience, and the results thus far have been terrible. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now