Better Defense

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, Mancini is a pretty bad defensive outfielder, but I’ve seen worse.    Just on our own team, I’d rather have him out there than Trumbo.   Saying that, I’d far prefer him at 1B/DH.

This sums up my point exactly, that and posts that say “our defense will suck because Mancini is out there” are way overblown and just innacurate.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

This sums up my point exactly, that and posts that say “our defense will suck because Mancini is out there” are way overblown and just innacurate.

Cruz Trumbo Mancini. Not outfielders. 

58 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Not really because left field has more ground to cover at Camden Yards.  I am not sure why they didn't put Davis in right field and Mancini at first and Trumbo at DH.  Davis is more serviceable of a right fielder than Mancini is a left fielder.  

Also I think people are underestimating how bad Mancini was in Left last year. 

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

Not really because left field has more ground to cover at Camden Yards.  I am not sure why they didn't put Davis in right field and Mancini at first and Trumbo at DH.  Davis is more serviceable of a right fielder than Mancini is a left fielder.  

Davis has slowed down, I wouldn’t want him in the outfield now. He would look as bad as Trumbo if you put him in RF. 

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Well said.  It would seem that some posters believe that ALL 27 outs will need to be made by the Left Fielder Mancini and all other positions will not be affected by batted balls.

54 minutes ago, atomic said:

He was the worst in UZR/150 of any LF who played at least 400 innings.

That said, I think you’re underestimating how bad Chris Davis would be in the OF.    He’s slower than Mancini and much slower than he was when he last played any appreciable amount of outfield (2015).

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know, Mancini is a pretty bad defensive outfielder, but I’ve seen worse.    Just on our own team, I’d rather have him out there than Trumbo.   Saying that, I’d far prefer him at 1B/DH.

Mancini or Trumbo...

reminds me of Spock’s comment:

”The condemned has his choice. Death by hanging, Death by firing squad, death by phaser...”

”The key word, Mr Spock, is ‘Death!’”

Trumbo or Mancini  in the outfield.  The result is death either way...

In 2018, through out all of baseball there were just over 83,000 outs recorded that were not strikeouts.

In 2018, through out all of baseball there were just under 9,000 outs recorded by Left Fielders

In 2018 that would tally about 300 left field outs per team for the entire year

In 2018 that would average out to 1.85 outs per game tallied by a left fielder.

In 2018 Trey Mancini averaged 2.17 put outs in Left Field per game played, above league average.

We are basically arguing about these 2 chances per game for any left fielder the Orioles put out there.

11 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

In 2018, through out all of baseball there were just over 83,000 outs recorded that were not strikeouts.

In 2018, through out all of baseball there were just under 9,000 outs recorded by Left Fielders

In 2018 that would tally about 300 left field outs per team for the entire year

In 2018 that would average out to 1.85 outs per game tallied by a left fielder.

In 2018 Trey Mancini averaged 2.17 put outs in Left Field per game played, above league average.

We are basically arguing about these 2 chances per game for any left fielder the Orioles put out there.

You’re missing the main point. Mancini didn’t attempt to catch many flys that a faster better outfielder would have gotten. His UZR was MLB-worst, so “Mancini lets it fall in front of him for a single.” Was heard way too often. Muffing a ball is only possible if one can get to it and Mancini didn’t get to many balls that a genuine outfielder would have caught. I don’t know how sure-handed he is, but He’s neither quick nor fast, and should be 1B/DH and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re missing the main point. Mancini didn’t attempt many flys that a faster better outfielder would have gotten. His UZR was MLB-worst, so “Mancini lets it fall in front of him for a single.” Was heard way too often. Muffing a ball is only possible if one can get to it and Mancini didn’t get to many balls that a genuine outfielder would have caught. I don’t know how sure-handed he is, but He’s neither quick nor fast, and should be 1B/DH and nothing more.

The Orioles outfield last year gave up a lot of extra base hits that would have been outs with an average defense.  Orioles pitching was bad no doubt, but the defense offered little help.

Archived