Orioles Fall 7-2 to Yankees on Opening Day

weams

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Actually, I dunno.  The '88 Orioles had two hall of famers on that team, Cal had a 5.8 WAR that year.  Eddie had a solid year.  Fred Lynn was decent, so was Tettleton.

This version of the Orioles has no one close to that.  The pitching might be worse.  I dunno.  Again, 0-21 is a once in a lifetime thing but I could see this team challenging it.

Other than Wright, the bullpen did pretty well. Maybe we'll win some bullpen games in the early going. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Roy Firestone said:

As bad as it was last year..we had Manny and Schoop, Gausman, Brach, for a half season....and for a little while Britton.This team has, as it is constructed now, no really dangerous hitters, and no truly dominant starters with a possible exception of Alex Cobb. I think 88 is a comp. They won't go 0-21, but this will be a pretty awful, unwatchable bunch. I turned it off after the 5th. Im embarrassed to admit that. I just had better things to do. And on opening day, Im REALLY embarrassed to admit that.

C'mon Roy, hang in there.  I think everyone here is resigned to know that this is gonna be a terrible year and that's okay.  It's just going to make it that much sweeter when the youngsters come up, start playing well and this team is getting better.

The 2010 team might be a better comp after some of the prospects are brought up this year. The new core was there in 2010, but not contributing much yet.

2010 Orioles leaders by rWAR:

• Guthrie 4.5
  • Luke Scott 3.8
  • Matusz 2.8 (as a starter)
  • Wieters 2.6
  • Jones 2.5
  • Markakis 2.3
  • Corey Patterson 1.3
  • Uehara 1.3
  • Jason Berken 1.3
  • Brian Roberts 1.2
  • Ty Wigginton 1.1
  • Felix Pie 0.9

The starting pitching was atrocious, other than Guthrie. That team won 63 games.

Of course, none of are prospects who were sent down project to be as good as Jones,  Wieters or Markakis, but that's a different subject.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just pointing it out as a random factoid.

I don't think having 1988 Schilling was a positive for the club.

I don't think any pitcher on that club in '88 was a positive.  

Actually, that's not true.  I guess Boddicker was, technically, with a 101 ERA+.  Tom Niedenfuer, Dave Schmidt at 112+, 115+, respectively.  That's about it.

Forgot Dickie Noles was on that team.  

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Actually, I dunno.  The '88 Orioles had two hall of famers on that team, Cal had a 5.8 WAR that year.  Eddie had a solid year.  Fred Lynn was decent, so was Tettleton.

This version of the Orioles has no one close to that.  The pitching might be worse.  I dunno.  Again, 0-21 is a once in a lifetime thing but I could see this team challenging it.

Last year’s team was 6-15 after 21 games.    The 2010 team was 4-17.

I kinda quit caring about this season when they sent the better players down to the minors. I can't see 40 wins with what they currently have on the roster. 0-21 really is a dubious feat, but I think this team can certainly challenge their loss total from last season.

2 hours ago, LocoChris said:

Even during the dark years you could count on an O’s win on OD. Gonna be a long year. 

Come on now. It’s only the first game. Now you could be right but then maybe some of the younger guys will show up and have a good season.

32 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I kinda quit caring about this season when they sent the better players down to the minors. I can't see 40 wins with what they currently have on the roster. 0-21 really is a dubious feat, but I think this team can certainly challenge their loss total from last season.

You can’t give up already. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You can’t give up already. 

I don't think it's giving up. I'll still listen to and watch games... I just don't care about the results i.e. wins and losses, or individual stats. I don't think any played currently on the 25 man roster will be around when they do get things fixed.

Archived