Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

I hate pitch count rule so does Nolan Ryan.

"But why, I asked Nolan Ryan, are all these elbows blowing out in the first place, when that hardly ever seemed to happen when he was pitching?

"It's because pitchers simply don't throw as much as we did," Ryan replied, matter-of-factly. "That's the real issue here. When I pitched, we pitched every fourth day and guys would pitch 300 innings and it wasn't considered a big deal. If you don't get on the mound and develop stamina, you're risking injury. This whole thing with the 100-pitch count limit — I have a real problem with that. Pitchers are all different and when you put standard limitations on them, you're not utilizing their talent."

We've 'dumbed down' our thinking today to believing that pitch counts and innings limitations are the way to go to preserve arms."

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moose, it was the pulling of him that got to me. Tony is correct. If you want him out, he sits. You talk to him, and he does not go back out. It was the act of pulling him that teed me off. I get the count, I get the pitches three days ago, I also get the dip In Velocity but this is not how this is done. The optics sucked in this case. If you keep him in, he gives up a hit and THEN you pull him. I just do not get this move at all. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

You are right, the game means nothing, and the decision to pull him had nothing to do with trying to win this game. 

By bringing in the worst pitcher on the team? That’s how you do that? 

28 minutes ago, nate22 said:

I think he should have given him an opportunity to finish the inning and then reevaluate. Considering he stretched out Givens yesterday, I would have thought he might have done the same with Hess. Anyway, not a huge deal. The kid pitched great and most importantly,  gave the pen some relief. Now, hopefully they can win.

So let me get this straight, if they had let him finish the inning and taken him out after 7, you wouldn't be complaining just as loudly?   Honestly,.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree that pitch counts can often be arbitrary, if a guy is prepared for 120-140 pitches and their body can handle it, they should be allowed to go that long once they've built up to it. I also don't think everyone should be on the same pitch count, some dudes are fast twitch and they can't handle 60 pitches at any kind of effort level before they start to lose the ability to hold their mechanics. 

Pitch counts should be personal and change depending on the time of year, the pitcher, and amount of rest. I think that's what happened here, the competitor always wants to compete, it's the manager's job to save the player from himself.  

I agree,...although of the last fifty no hitters, eight have been in April...before the “building up” which would lead one to expect almost none in April and weighted towards July and August. 

I might...might...have gone to 100-108...if he was able to get to the ninth before he got to 100 pitches....just for the once in an entire career opportunity for this guy...but I rationally understand the decision as a protective one.  Too bad we couldn’t have pulled off a Milacki to Flanagan to Williamson to Olson no hitter...lol.   Araujo not quite in that category. 

Just now, SteveA said:

So let me get this straight, if they had let him finish the inning and taken him out after 7, you wouldn't be complaining just as loudly?   Honestly,.

Suppose he had gotten somehow into the ninth at 82 pitches with one out....do you take him out then? 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Dempsey is so full of it.  Saying blanket sweeping commemtbthat pitchers “never come back the same after throwing no hitters”...Good grief...Palmer threw his in 1969...had pretty good career after it....Nolan threw four...had pretty good career after each one...

I think he was referring to pitchers who threw too many pitches in no-hitters.  And frankly, there... never have been guys like Nolan Ryan.  There should never be an "It worked for Nolan Ryan, so it should work for Hess" example.      

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

By bringing in the worst pitcher on the team? That’s how you do that? 

It was a decent-enough time to bring in Araujo, who looks ready to assume the Orioles' obligatory role of "guy I don't understand they're so stuck on" unless Mike Wright graduates to mediocre or gets released.

It was just unfortunate Pedro Araujo is still Pedro Araujo, and not good at pitching.

Just now, tntoriole said:

I agree,...although of the last fifty no hitters, eight have been in April...before the “building up” which would lead one to expect almost none in April and weighted towards July and August. 

I might...might...have gone to 100-108...if he was able to get to the ninth before he got to 100 pitches....just for the once in an entire career opportunity for this guy...but I rationally understand the decision as a protective one.  Too bad we couldn’t have pulled off a Milacki to Flanagan to Williamson to Olson no hitter...lol.   Araujo not quite in that category. 

I hear you, I doubt many of them were working on short rest though. 

1 minute ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

I hate pitch count rule so does Nolan Ryan.

"But why, I asked Nolan Ryan, are all these elbows blowing out in the first place, when that hardly ever seemed to happen when he was pitching?

"It's because pitchers simply don't throw as much as we did," Ryan replied, matter-of-factly. "That's the real issue here. When I pitched, we pitched every fourth day and guys would pitch 300 innings and it wasn't considered a big deal. If you don't get on the mound and develop stamina, you're risking injury. This whole thing with the 100-pitch count limit — I have a real problem with that. Pitchers are all different and when you put standard limitations on them, you're not utilizing their talent."

We've 'dumbed down' our thinking today to believing that pitch counts and innings limitations are the way to go to preserve arms."

Go figure, the guy with the biggest rubber arm of all time hated pitch counts.

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Moose, it was the pulling of him that got to me. Tony is correct. If you want him out, he sits. You talk to him, and he does not go back out. It was the act of pulling him that teed me off. I get the count, I get the pitches three days ago, I also get the dip In Velocity but this is not how this is done. The optics sucked in this case. If you keep him in, he gives up a hit and THEN you pull him. I just do not get this move at all. 

I'm not understanding the optics then.  Maybe he goes back out and he's able to reach down and get a couple ticks back in velocity.  Maybe he avoids hard contact.  

But he didn't.  Velocity was down, Jays were starting to hit him hard.  Let's not pretend that pitchers don't ever have to walk off a mound in the middle of an inning, and let's not pretend that it's a terrible, shameful thing.  Let's also be real here, if he wasn't sent back out half this board would be going ballistic, still.  

Archived