Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd agree in that case.  But short rest (still, some here seem to be ignoring that) probably played a part in the decision making process tonight.

I agree...in fact, frankly, I had forgotten that part until reminded by Hyde in the post game.  I agree completely.   Still would have liked to see us pull off a Milacki to Flanny to Williamson to Olson no no...but I am happy, very with his game and the win and the beer I am drinking. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Suppose he had gotten somehow into the ninth at 82 pitches with one out....do you take him out then? 

I don't understand what that has to do with my question.,

You were clearly upset about him coming out after 6,.1.   But then you said let him finish the 7th,.   As if to imply that you wouldn't be upset about him coming out after 7?   I call BS on that.   All the people who disagree with the decision but then say things like "they should have let him finish the7th" like that would make a difference... I think those people would have been just as upset if he had been taken out after 7.

Just now, SteveA said:

I don't understand what that has to do with my question.,

You were clearly upset about him coming out after 6,.1.   But then you said let him finish the 7th,.   As if to imply that you wouldn't be upset about him coming out after 7?   I call BS on that.   All the people who disagree with the decision but then say things like "they should have let him finish the7th" like that would make a difference... I think those people would have been just as upset if he had been taken out after 7.

I was upset for him. But I was not upset that he was relieved. 

Just gonna throw out there that most pitching coaches say that it's reductive to just look at the pitching count. You have to consider how stressful the pitches were. Hess didn't throw a single pitch with a runner in scoring position or with anything less than a 4-run lead. You can harp on 82 pitches, but it was a pretty soft 82.

Just now, Yachtsman said:

Then why start him at all? Is that not the safest move? If you are going to pull him, this is NOT the way to do it.

I think this is fair. They are going with another opener on Wednesday. That is why.  

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

The game means nothing.

Nothing.

Your team is going to be epic bad. There is a bright light. His pitch count is low. It isn’t the playoffs.You let the kid pitch.

That is all there really is to this: a really awful decision.

There have been almost 300 no hitters. They don't mean anything either.

Archived