Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note the caveats, and that in many years it is once. If they break 100 pitches (laboring) is a prime example especially if the pitcher is older. With a young pitcher on a young team, who has thrown less than 80 pitches, you leave him in. 

I think he should have given him an opportunity to finish the inning and then reevaluate. Considering he stretched out Givens yesterday, I would have thought he might have done the same with Hess. Anyway, not a huge deal. The kid pitched great and most importantly,  gave the pen some relief. Now, hopefully they can win.

Just now, Andtothewall said:

Really hate this kind of gatekeeping. When was it “really MLB?” At some point in between greenies and PEDs? Pre-Moneyball? Before the new-fangled home run?

To me, it’s about respect. I am Italian, thi kinda stuff is no touch to me. He has a no-no going, we are going to be terrible & it isn’t the playoffs.... 

Hess deserves the respect. Today he was disrespected. 

Just now, Rene88 said:

To me, it’s about respect. I am Italian, thi kinda stuff is no touch to me. He has a no-no going, we are going to be terrible & it isn’t the playoffs.... 

Hess deserves the respect. Today he was disrespected. 

Coming off short rest and not on pace to finish under 110 pitches, you could just as easily say they respected him by protecting his health. 

Just now, Andtothewall said:

Coming off short rest and not on pace to finish under 110 pitches, you could just as easily say they respected him by protecting his health. 

70 pitches. 

Awful awful awful decision. If you think otherwise than you just like to play contrarian and get people bent out of shape like Frobby & Corn. I doubt either of them actually think that, they just enjoy the reaction.

11 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

70 pitches. 

Awful awful awful decision. If you think otherwise than you just like to play contrarian and get people bent out of shape like Frobby & Corn. I doubt either of them actually think that, they just enjoy the reaction.

Hess threw 82 pitches and needed 8 more outs. I honestly expected my opinion to be in the majority here, I promise it’s possible to agree with the decision to pull without being a contrarian. 

David SchoenfieldESPN Senior Writer 

schoenfield_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

As a rookie for the Orioles in 2018, David Hess got roughed up with a 4.88 ERA and 22 home runs in just 103.1 innings. So of course he tosses 6.1 hitless innings in his first start of 2019 (the first time an Orioles pitcher took a no-hitter into the seventh since Freddy Garcia in 2013, the longest such stretch in the majors). Unfortunately, Hess was removed after 82 pitches and the reliever promptly served up a two-run homer to Randal Grichuk to lose the combined no-hitter.

Just now, TheOtherRipken said:

I agree with you most of the time, but pulling a pitcher at 80 pitchss in the middle of a no hitter just isn’t right. 

If it was one out in the ninth I'd budge and agree with you.

But he wasn't going nine.  I don't see the difference between 6 1/3 and 7.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

70 pitches. 

Frobby and Corn aren't really like that, they have their opinions and like to think about things from different sides.

And I try to be that way but tonight was still baffling to me.  I couldn't do that.  It's modern analytics and baseball theory completely off the leash.  And while nobody can say what the rest of the game looks like with Hess still in, removing him didn't pay any kind of dividends.  They allowed 5 runs in 7 outs.

37 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I have seen some bad decisions (many involving Ubaldo) but WTF....?!?!

He wasn't on full rest, it was going to take 110+ to finish it, Hess didn't look pissed off by it, it's a move that took guts, a hard move, but probably the right move to stick with what I'd assume was a pre-determined pitch count. 

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you’re ever going to use Araujo, a 6-run lead (or deficit) is the time to try it. 

I could have happily waited for the 6-run deficit.  Araujo's arm has enough potential to try developing it in the minors.  Meanwhile under the circumstances I think a strong case could be made for not here, not now.

Archived