Carolina League Prospects

POR

6 minutes ago, POR said:

I would not typically include a player that is not in the organization when I do my previews.

However, the Orioles have the 1st pick.  Adley Rutschman is the consensus top ranked player in the draft.  If he is the pick, It would seem to make sense that he would the last part of the season in Frederick.  Rutschman is also probably a top 25 prospect in baseball and the possibility of him being on the Keys is more exciting than say his old college teammate, Cadyn Grenier or Jean Carlos Encarnacion. 

I can see all of that I was just suggesting that it would be better to wait since the draft isn't quite a foregone conclusion.

Perhaps if you had included him as something to watch for at the end of the piece? 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can see all of that I was just suggesting that it would be better to wait since the draft isn't quite a foregone conclusion.

Perhaps if you had included him as something to watch for at the end of the piece? 

Obviously Rutschman is the “consensus” pick but that may or may not mean he’s Elias’ pick.   And even if we pick him, there’s no assurance he starts at Frederick.  The last college hitter drafted no. 1 went to short season ball.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Obviously Rutschman is the “consensus” pick but that may or may not mean he’s Elias’ pick.   And even if we pick him, there’s no assurance he starts at Frederick.  The last college hitter drafted no. 1 went to short season ball.

Dansby Swanson got hurt in extended spring training after signing so he only played a few weeks in 2015.

https://venomstrikes.com/2015/07/26/dansby-swanson-suffers-minor-facial-injury/

Last year, Nick Madrigal, played a week in the AZL, two weeks in full season in the Sally League and a month in  the Carolina League.  I would think Rutschman would have a similar schedule.  

52 minutes ago, POR said:

Dansby Swanson got hurt in extended spring training after signing so he only played a few weeks in 2015.

https://venomstrikes.com/2015/07/26/dansby-swanson-suffers-minor-facial-injury/

Last year, Nick Madrigal, played a week in the AZL, two weeks in full season in the Sally League and a month in  the Carolina League.  I would think Rutschman would have a similar schedule.  

It’s possible they wouldn’t want him to play too much this year if Oregon State makes another run and he’s accumulated a lot of innings behind the dish.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, POR said:

I would not typically include a player that is not in the organization when I do my previews.

However, the Orioles have the 1st pick.  Adley Rutschman is the consensus top ranked player in the draft.  If he is the pick, It would seem to make sense that he would the last part of the season in Frederick.  Rutschman is also probably a top 25 prospect in baseball and the possibility of him being on the Keys is more exciting than say his old college teammate, Cadyn Grenier or Jean Carlos Encarnacion. 

#16 prospect in baseball per fangraphs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft?sort=-1,1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

LogoMLBBAL.png1:1 Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
Video | Video | Video 

Rutschman is the best player in college baseball and a no brainer selection for the Orioles. The switch-hitting backstop is currently slashing .429/.576/.800 (!) as an above-average up-the-middle defender, projecting to at least plus hit and power at the next level to go with plus actions behind the plate and a plus catch-and-throw game. He mashed with wood last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, as well, slashing .321/.424/.500. Simply put, Rustchman is the easiest 1:1 selection since the Nationals won the Bryce Harper lottery in 2010. As a bonus, we already know he looks good in orange and black. –Nick Faleris

https://2080baseball.com/2019/04/2019-mlb-draft-mock-draft-v1/

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

LogoMLBBAL.png1:1 Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
Video | Video | Video 

Rutschman is the best player in college baseball and a no brainer selection for the Orioles. The switch-hitting backstop is currently slashing .429/.576/.800 (!) as an above-average up-the-middle defender, projecting to at least plus hit and power at the next level to go with plus actions behind the plate and a plus catch-and-throw game. He mashed with wood last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, as well, slashing .321/.424/.500. Simply put, Rustchman is the easiest 1:1 selection since the Nationals won the Bryce Harper lottery in 2010. As a bonus, we already know he looks good in orange and black. –Nick Faleris

https://2080baseball.com/2019/04/2019-mlb-draft-mock-draft-v1/

Yes, we know who he is.  

Odds are very good he's the choice.

It isn't 100%.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...