Fangraphs: Yacabonis

weams

It's all about consistency of stuff. All of the analytics we mostly have to go through give us an average of the pitches, but there are guys like Yacobonis and Castro who have tremendous movement at time, but not always.

Yacobonis' slider can range from below average to plus-plus. When Yacobonis can find more consistency from outing to outing, his number will improve. His stuff has developed so much since he was drafted, with part of the reason due to the fact he's student of the game of pitching and not afraid to try new things.

The article is saying the extreme movement of his pitches has not translated into appropriate success.  I think if any FO is going to identify the tweaks necessary to have that movement result in an above average pitcher, it is our new one.  I thought it was interesting that the author used 2018 data to note the lack of effectiveness for JY - such the article could have been written in the offseason.

The author notes that JY has a career to date 48% ground ball rate on his 2S FB versus league average of 53%, yet notes that rate is over 62% in early 2019  with a small sample size caveat - perhaps JY has made the appropriate tweaks and we are seeing the early positive results.  

The article does well to show the strikeout on Saturday of Voit.  Nasty.  More please.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

The article is saying the extreme movement of his pitches has not translated into appropriate success.  I think if any FO is going to identify the tweaks necessary to have that movement result in an above average pitcher, it is our new one.  I thought it was interesting that the author used 2018 data to note the lack of effectiveness for JY - such the article could have been written in the offseason.

The author notes that JY has a career to date 48% ground ball rate on his 2S FB versus league average of 53%, yet notes that rate is over 62% in early 2019  with a small sample size caveat - perhaps JY has made the appropriate tweaks and we are seeing the early positive results.  

The article does well to show the strikeout on Saturday of Voit.  Nasty.  More please.

Would seem to be a dangerous pitch to use against left handed hitters who like extending their arms.

Archived