Big Catcher Energy

weams

36 minutes ago, weams said:

"Severino has brought an energy to the club and behind the plate that I haven't seen since the day I retired."

Discuss.

Somewhere Sal Fasano and Paul Bako are shaking their fists at the MASN screen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, weams said:

"Severino has brought an energy to the club and behind the plate that I haven't seen since the day I retired."

Discuss.

Told you Pal. He might be the second best waiver wire grab, to Dwight Smith Jr.

Nats were prob surprised nobody traded for him. If he ever hits...look out!

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

54 catchers have caught at least once for the Orioles since Dempsey retired in 1992.  Not sure that all of them were lower energy or ability than Severino or if Rick is just, ummmm, being a bit over the top in his hyperbole. 

Although he is probably right about Sal Fasano’s energy level. 

To be honest, Dempsey was an extremely animated, passionate player.    For pure energy, he probably was very near the top and perhaps at the top among Orioles’ catcher.   I just don’t like him tooting his own horn that way. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, Dempsey was an extremely animated, passionate player.    For pure energy, he probably was very near the top and perhaps at the top among Orioles’ catcher.   I just don’t like him rooting his own horn that way. 

Could it be that he was referring to other contemporaries?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, Dempsey was an extremely animated, passionate player.    For pure energy, he probably was very near the top and perhaps at the top among Orioles’ catcher.   I just don’t like him tooting his own horn that way. 

That was how I read it. And Dempsey was was known for doing extra running and lifting weights after games. He may not have been great, but he was highly motivated and proactive. 

18 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

That was how I read it. And Dempsey was was known for doing extra running and lifting weights after games. He may not have been great, but he was highly motivated and proactive. 

His wife woke up one night and heard this swishing sound in the room because Rick was swinging a bat in the dark in the middle of the night after an 0 for 4 game.   She told him to turn on the light so he wouldn’t break the furniture.   

4 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

For a guy who never made an All-Star team and was a lifetime .233 hitter, the Dipper sure is full of himself.  

He was a very good defensive catcher, but he wasn't Pudge or Johnny Bench behind the plate, either.  He acts like he's the greatest catcher that ever lived.   

He played 24 seasons so he must have done something right.

He's talking about the way he communicate to his pitchers with enthusiasm.  I was laughing about Severino all game because he had something to say back to the pitcher after every pitch.  I love it, especially as a coach who is always trying to get my catchers to be more vocal.

Archived