Big Catcher Energy

weams

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucre is .223 .259 .309 .568 in parts of seven major league seasons. 

Severino has a career .552 OPS over parts of five seasons. 

If Wynns and Sisco don't get a chance to play in Baltimore this season then they might as well just trade or release them right now. 

Sisco isn’t going to come up unless his defense is acceptable.

Caleb was a good framer, I don’t know whether Wynns is as good.

when the crunch comes Sucre is probably gone because he’s older, but they may try to keep him because he offers enough to compensate for his bat.

The difference between what I thought a glove-first catcher was supposed to look like versus what they actually look like is a huge blind spot in my own personal baseball knowledge, I'm finding.

So THIS is what it's like? Sisco can take his sweet time.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The difference between what I thought a glove-first catcher was supposed to look like versus what they actually look like is a huge blind spot in my own personal baseball knowledge, I'm finding.

So THIS is what it's like? Sisco can take his sweet time.

Sisco probably moves to 1B. The problem is that we’ve got lots of those. Sure hope we don’t draft any more.

The game calling, the defense and the throwing is why Sucre gets a lot of playing time with this team if he can stay healthy.    If he helps lower the teams ERA his offense does not really matter.

Sisco and Wynns are going to have to wait for an injury to one of the catchers.

7 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I recall many, many, many discussions about pitch framing from catchers going back to the earliest days of Matt Weiters. 

Was Buck and Co. not fans of this idea or did they believe their version was the correct way to do it? 

MSK 

It seemed that BS was more concerned about pitchers helping catchers (TTP) than catchers helping pitchers.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

The game calling, the defense and the throwing is why Sucre gets a lot of playing time with this team if he can stay healthy.    If he helps lower the teams ERA his offense does not really matter.

Sisco and Wynns are going to have to wait for an injury to one of the catchers.

Or until we’re 20 games under .500 and one of the catchers is hitting .172.    

I’m thrilled with the four game winning streak and a few well-pitched games, but it’s way too soon to conclude that these two catchers are defensive wizards who are going to lower the team ERA by runs per game.   There are probably reasons why the Rays and Nats chose not to retain them.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Or until we’re 20 games under .500 and one of the catchers is hitting .172.    

I’m thrilled with the four game winning streak and a few well-pitched games, but it’s way too soon to conclude that these two catchers are defensive wizards who are going to lower the team ERA by runs per game.   There are probably reasons why the Rays and Nats chose not to retain them.   

Right.  Neither one of these guys is likely to be part of our next competitive team.

I do enjoy Sucre's mannerisms behind the plate though.  He'll even throw in a wink at his pitcher every now and again.  He's entertaining if nothing else.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we all just got a reminder of what a good defensive catcher can do back there. On tv last night they talked about Sucre studying film for 2-3 hours a day on the opposing hitters. 

Sisco better step his defense up big time or he won’t be playing C. 

I think a good defensive catcher who can manage a pitching staff is one of the most undervalued things in the game. Who cares if they are lousy hitters - the NL probably gets the same production out of their #9 spot in the lineup because of the pitcher and they still score runs.

Archived