Bud Norris?

TommyPickles

I remember when Jon Singleton signed a ten million dollar contract with the Astros even though he hadn’t made the Bigs yet. Norris was publicly furious on the grounds that signing a low-ball contract would make things harder for other players. Singleton is now, I think, out of baseball, but because he didn’t care about Bud being angry, he has ten million bucks, courtesy the Houston Astros.

I liked Bud when he was here( although I thought at the time he should be traded after the ‘14 season) and I think that was probably Dan’s( yes, still an idiot) best trade. But nah. We don’t need him.

They'll probably need more bullpen help sooner rather than later, but I think I'd look elsewhere.  Too much baggage, and you have to wonder why Toronto is releasing him?  It's not like they're a juggernaut.

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ya'll know Norris is a clubhouse cancer right? I want NO parts of this guy. 

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/07/11/bud-norris-is-mercilessly-riding-and-badgering-cardinals-pitcher-jordan-hicks/

And reading the article, even the writer admits that veterans mentor the young guys, when they do stupid things like come late to meetings.

You have any other stories that backs up this of behavior. Everything I read on Bud, was that he was a well liked respected player.

Let’s be clear at the outset: veterans are in charge in a clubhouse and rookies are not. Especially rookies who, like Hicks, has had some issues with things like being on time for meetings and stuff. On a basic level, there is nothing wrong with this. Every player will tell you that there is a process of becoming a major leaguer and part of that process comes from learning how to carry oneself on and off the field, primarily at the feet of veterans who provide either a good example, good leadership or both.

Except I’m not sure what “mercilessly riding” means and Saxon doesn’t describe it. He also uses the term “badgering” and talks about teaching young players in “the harshest way possible” and doesn’t elaborate there either. Matheny is quoted as saying that he does not think Hicks much cares for the treatment, but again, no suggestion of what the treatment is, exactly, that he does not care for and there is no suggestion that Matheny has any sympathy for Hicks’ concerns.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

And reading the article, even the writer admits that veterans mentor the young guys, when they do stupid things like come late to meetings.

You have any other stories that backs up this of behavior. Everything I read on Bud, was that he was a well liked respected player.

Yes, there's plenty to back it up. And apparently he's a racist as well. Baseball is a job. It's not Bud Norris' job to be the self appointed drill sargeant. And Mike Matheny was basically fired for enabling Norris. 

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/pawdwn/bud-norris-is-bad-for-baseball

Excerpt from the article. 

In 2015, journeyman reliever Bud Norris had something to say about the way Latino players conducted themselves on the field. His comments were prompted by a study suggesting that the primary combatants in baseball brawls were most often players from different ethnic backgrounds. It’s unclear why Norris, who then played for the San Diego Padres, felt the need to weigh in on the issue publicly. Using the royal “we” in reference to either American players or America writ large, Norris declared that if players were “going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years.” In short: players coming from different baseball cultures, with different modes of expression and styles of play, had to either assimilate into the imagined monolith of American baseball—with its unwritten rules and codes of conduct—or find themselves unwelcome in the game.

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yes, there's plenty to back it up. And apparently he's a racist as well. Baseball is a job. It's not Bud Norris' job to be the self appointed drill sargeant. And Mike Matheny was basically fired for enabling Norris. 

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/pawdwn/bud-norris-is-bad-for-baseball

Excerpt from the article. 

In 2015, journeyman reliever Bud Norris had something to say about the way Latino players conducted themselves on the field. His comments were prompted by a study suggesting that the primary combatants in baseball brawls were most often players from different ethnic backgrounds. It’s unclear why Norris, who then played for the San Diego Padres, felt the need to weigh in on the issue publicly. Using the royal “we” in reference to either American players or America writ large, Norris declared that if players were “going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years.” In short: players coming from different baseball cultures, with different modes of expression and styles of play, had to either assimilate into the imagined monolith of American baseball—with its unwritten rules and codes of conduct—or find themselves unwelcome in the game.

wow

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Lots of chatter in St Louis of Bud "bullying" younger players?

Do we want him in our clubhouse?

I’ve never read or heard anything like that before. When Norris pitched for the O’s before I never read anything about him being that way. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

He was also working for manager Matheny as a "snitch", writing reports to Matheny about bad behavior by younger members of the SL bullpen., which sometimes led to those players getting fined.

The Cardinals fired Matheny mid season and performed much better after he was gone.   

Bud Norris is not worth that kind of drama on the young Orioles who seem to get along great with their young manager.

Hard pass.

Oh wow. How horrible that some younger players got fined. Phooey. If they were acting badly or not putting enough effort in to improve then good. 

Archived