Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

Delmarva has a doubleheader set for Wednesday, which would be six days rest for Rodriguez, but he's not scheduled until Thursday. I know limiting innings is a big deal these days, but that seems a little excessive.

Edited by orioles22

On 5/5/2019 at 10:37 PM, Cy Bundy said:

Dang. If this kid keeps improving and stays healthy, he could be a really good one. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

How Reputable is MLBPipeline? Nice to see we have 4 guys in there (that I counted, although I think it should be 5 guys if Rodriguez is our #5 guy)

It’s just mlb.com - they do a good job I believe, @Luke-OH would be able to offer clarity on that. We have #56, 62 & 80 in addition to Grayson being added at 99. They still have Hays ranked 4th, in our organization, because they haven’t updated the individual team rankings along with their top 100.

O’s top 30:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=bal

Here is their Grayson report:

Grayson Rodriguez | Rank: 99 

Team: Delmarva Shorebirds (A)ETA: 2022Position: RHPAge: 19 DOB: 11/16/1999Bats: L Throws: RHeight: 6' 5" Weight: 220 lb.Drafted: 2018,1st (11) - BALOther Lists: Top 30 Baltimore Orioles Prospects (#5)

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Following a similar path into the first round as Texas high schooler Forrest Whitley in 2016, Rodriguez had his stuff and stock take a significant step forward as a senior after he improved his physical condition and added strength to his impressive frame. That progress endeared Rodriguez to the Orioles' scouting department, and the club selected the Texas A&M commit with the No. 11 overall pick in the 2018 Draft. He signed for $4.3 million, then began his pro career by posting six straight scoreless outings in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

Rodriguez showed that he could run his fastball up to 97-98 mph as a high school senior, but typically sits more in the 92-94 mph range with heavy life. Most scouts prefer his relatively new low-80s slider, a potential plus pitch, to his mid-70s curveball, although the latter has nice shape and he repeats its release point well. Rodriguez didn't have much need for a changeup in high school but shows the potential to have an average one.

With his 6-foot-5 frame and high-three-quarters slot, Rodriguez creates steep downhill plane with his pitches and already shows a propensity for getting ground balls. He's a decent athlete who uses a controlled delivery that enables him to flood the zone with quality strikes. Those qualities could help Rodriguez move faster than the typical high school hurler, especially if he can make progress with his changeup and curveball.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

How Reputable is MLBPipeline? Nice to see we have 4 guys in there (that I counted, although I think it should be 5 guys if Rodriguez is our #5 guy)

You're better off hearing from others who definitely know more about Pipeline than I do, but I've been very underwhelmed by them from what I've seen. I don't think their knowledge is particularly specific or deep, so they're more a reflection of conventional wisdom than particularly insightful. For example, I doubt they'd ever be on a guy like Kremer or Britton (back in the day) the way the OH gets on them early. That's my impression, at least.

I only see 4 in that list, and that's counting Rodriguez. Am I missing someone?

Assuming health and no promotion, it's probably fair to assume that Diaz, Hall, Rodriguez, Mountcastle and our #1 overall pick will be top 100 guys. It's a long season though. If they did a list today, it's possible they'd drop Diaz off of it just because he's been injured and hasn't produced in about 10 months. But who knows, maybe a guy like Knight or Peralta would jump up on their list if they continue to dominate.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1