Karns to IL (forearm strain), Phillips up

interloper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was quick. I don't think we should count on Karns being a factor for the rest of the season, but you never know. Maybe it's not that bad and they just wanted to get a fresh pitcher. Maybe his arm's finally shot. Maybe just needs to ease into it some more. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

So much for working back to back days.

Meanwhile, right-hander Nate Karns will be a full-time reliever going forward. Karns signed with the Orioles in the offseason and entered spring training in the competition for a rotation spot, but he didn’t recover as hoped from his first spring start was moved to the bullpen. He pitched two innings as the starter of the Orioles’ previous two bullpen games and made his first relief appearance since April 2017 on Saturday. Hyde said Karns is available to pitch back-to-back days if needed. “I think that once we felt in spring where maybe stretching him out...

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jeez, he’s a delicate little flower.    Hopefully we’ll get enough innings out of him to justify his $850 k.

Well we could offer him arb for next season if we choose. He was just a dart throw anyway. It’s a shame he couldn’t stay healthy. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we could offer him arb for next season if we choose. He was just a dart throw anyway. It’s a shame he couldn’t stay healthy. 

Have they performed the TJ surgery already?

There is a very slight chance he's able to overcome this and pitch again this year.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

There is a very slight chance he's able to overcome this and pitch again this year.

As usual, you’re the wide-eyed optimist.     I’m expecting the arm amputation to be announced shortly.   

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had thought he was in recovery from TJ. Guess I was wrong. 

Hopefully Phillips capitalizes on this chance. It’s a year of chances. 

I sorta get the feeling this is kind of a borderline IL call just to get a fresh pitcher up, but we'll see.

He's past the TJ stuff, it's the other surgery he had that is more complicated. A forearm strain in most cases is nothing to really worry about unless, of course, it is. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Karns is Nick Johnson like signing. I doubt we see Karns again. 

Archived