A few things......

bigbird

I like the info on Huff and Sherrill.

Tank sounds likely someone that could be groomed as a hard throwing situational lefty. He needs work but he might be able to mature into the role. Definitely need a good second player in a deal for Ramon.

I guess Bradford and Walker are logical targets. MacPhail is all about lowering salaries and getting young player.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what, I'm actually happy that there is zero interest in huff. Doesn't mean I'm not baffled though.

Why in the WORLD wouldn't a team want a guy who's batting .295 with 21 bombs? He's a SECOND HALF PLAYER for lords sake!!!! I'd gladly hold onto him if we're getting offered nothing, but I just don't get it.

Why?

1. He's playing far better than he has in many years. There's some expectation that he's due for some regression. If the 2007 model of Huff shows up he goes from very good DH to barely adequate DH.

2. He's 32 next year, and he's not exactly a conditioning freak. In fact, he's kind of proud of the fact he's not into conditioning and exercise.

3. He has little to no defensive value. Last time he regularly played 3B he was only saved from the worst +/- rating in baseball by playing too few innings to qualify.

Why?

1. He's playing far better than he has in many years. There's some expectation that he's due for some regression. If the 2007 model of Huff shows up he goes from very good DH to barely adequate DH.

2. He's 32 next year, and he's not exactly a conditioning freak. In fact, he's kind of proud of the fact he's not into conditioning and exercise.

3. He has little to no defensive value. Last time he regularly played 3B he was only saved from the worst +/- rating in baseball by playing too few innings to qualify.

And this is why I've been saying all along that Huff wasn't going to get a lot of interest from NL teams.

He's not played enough in the field, so we really haven't gotten to see Aubrey Huff at 3B for an extended period of time. I promise, though. He's not a good defender there. Playing him at 3B more isn't going to con the Dodgers or someone like that into thinking he's a reliable option there.

Terrible, terrible news about Huff and Sherrill. We're not going to do squat. :mad::(

Thanks anyway though, bigbird. Your reports are always appreciatd.

If they were in their contract years I'd share your discontent but we have the offseason and next year's deadline to try to move them for the right pieces. And you never know - If we get Tex and some good starters in the offseason, they could be core elements of a contending O's team in the near future.

Why?

He got into better shape this offseason, and knows he's playing for his next contract. He fixed his swing back in July 2007 after a terrible slump and has been on fire since.

June .310/.355/.494/.849

July .179/.255/.238/.493

August .363/.431/.703/1.134

September .330/.417/.477/.894

April .258/.349/.484/.833

May .231/.278/.426/.704

June .337/.409/.602/1.011

July .360/.390/.652/1.042

Why would you want to trade that offense for a suspect in return?

Few thoughts....

1) Surprised the Twinkies aren't interested in Huff...He would be perfect for them but my guess is AM won't eat salary to get rid of Huff unless the package is enormous.

2) Gammons was on Sunday night baseball the other day...He commented that the reason the Indians got Santana in the Blake deal was because Cleveland ate all of the remaining salary for Blake, which was probably less than 3 million dollars...Roncey10 has mentioned that the Dodgers can't take on any money this year...So, if you are the Orioles, you need to be prepared to eat 3 million or so of Bradford's salary. The question is, what are the Orioles targeting? I would love it to be LaRoche and think that is more possible than people think but I think AM may deal for Hu before LaRoche, even if both are on the table....I hope not though.

3) Whatever you get for Ramon is fine...AM is right, the more you eat, the better prospect you should get BUT he shouldn't ask for too good of a prospect either. Don't get greedy with Ramon. Ramon is starting to hit at the right time.

4) Payton can be dealt I would think.

5) Hopefully AM is asking for a lot for Sherrill now but will come down on his demands very soon.

6) We could have had Reyes for that pitcher!!!!

I like the strategy outlined here. Ask a lot for Sherrill; we have a lot of time in which to deal him. The only risk is injury or a decline in his performance.

Agree on the Hernandez move too. Make them give you something if we pay the bucks.

I like Payton, but I'd really like to see Montanez get a shot. So trade Payton if you can, and for whatever; everybody w/b happier.

I'm not surprised that they want a vet pitcher, even if he isn't good.They want to fill a slot w/somebody who can pitch innings, even if he isn't terrible effective.I'm convinced they don't want to disrupt anybody in the minors.

If they were in their contract years I'd share your discontent but we have the offseason and next year's deadline to try to move them for the right pieces. And you never know - If we get Tex and some good starters in the offseason, they could be core elements of a contending O's team in the near future.

Exactly. Why wouldn't you hold out for an overpayment at this point when you still control these guys beyond this season? The offseason is a different story but right now you wait for that desperate team.

Few thoughts....

1) Surprised the Twinkies aren't interested in Huff...He would be perfect for them but my guess is AM won't eat salary to get rid of Huff unless the package is enormous.

2) Gammons was on Sunday night baseball the other day...He commented that the reason the Indians got Santana in the Blake deal was because Cleveland ate all of the remaining salary for Blake, which was probably less than 3 million dollars...Roncey10 has mentioned that the Dodgers can't take on any money this year...So, if you are the Orioles, you need to be prepared to eat 3 million or so of Bradford's salary. The question is, what are the Orioles targeting? I would love it to be LaRoche and think that is more possible than people think but I think AM may deal for Hu before LaRoche, even if both are on the table....I hope not though.

3) Whatever you get for Ramon is fine...AM is right, the more you eat, the better prospect you should get BUT he shouldn't ask for too good of a prospect either. Don't get greedy with Ramon. Ramon is starting to hit at the right time.

4) Payton can be dealt I would think.

5) Hopefully AM is asking for a lot for Sherrill now but will come down on his demands very soon.

6) We could have had Reyes for that pitcher!!!!

I agree 100 percent with what you said about Ramon. However, it's not imperative that the team trades Sherrill right now. Granted his value is high right now. But there's no reason to believe he won't pitch at least this well next year. And even if he eventually struggled as a closer he would always have value as a LOOGY.

Why?

Looking at his HR/FB, I think 2007 is more of a fluke. I am not saying he will have a 15% next year, but I don't think it is likely he post a 8%.

It was Trembley's choice to make Huff mainly a 1B/DH. He's played 3B before and it's the position he likes the best. I hope we return him there next season and make Mora the supersub, like it should have been this season. Huff isn't a butcher at 3B, he's league average which is fine for the offense he provides.

I clearly remember an interview from 2007 in which Huff was asked his favorite position. He said it was DH.

Huff reached the majors in 2000. In nine seasons, he's played the majority of his games at 3B only four times: 2000, 2001, 2004 & 2006. Huff' was as much an outfielder as a 3B before coming to Baltimore, and he has a below average fielding percentages & range factors at both positions.

DH & 1B are spots where he produces runs with the bat without giving them back with the glove.

I clearly remember an interview from 2007 in which Huff was asked his favorite position. He said it was DH.

Huff reached the majors in 2000. In nine seasons, he's played the majority of his games at 3B only four times: 2000, 2001, 2004 & 2006. Huff' was as much an outfielder as a 3B before coming to Baltimore, and he has a below average fielding percentages & range factors at both positions.

DH & 1B are spots where he produces runs with the bat without giving them back with the glove.

You mean, JTrea was just manufacturing "truth" again? Shocking.

I agree 100 percent with what you said about Ramon. However, it's not imperative that the team trades Sherrill right now. Granted his value is high right now. But there's no reason to believe he won't pitch at least this well next year. And even if he eventually struggled as a closer he would always have value as a LOOGY.

People keep saying this but it makes no sense to me.

First of all, if he struggles as a closer and goes back to being a LOOGY, he will likely never be an AS again and won't have a big number under that "S" column, therefore he won't be worth nearly as much.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we can get LaRoche for him straight up and we pass and Sherrill is a LOOGY from June of next year until he leaves the team....There is no way Sherrill, as a LOOGY, is worth more than a young third baseman with AS potential.

So, this idea that we don't need to trade him right now is silly if you put into the context of the way you are here....That is the exact reason why we should trade him...because he may revert back to being a closer...Because he has a high walk rate, high FB rate, etc....We don't know how he is going to react the last 2 months of the season when his workload gets greatly increased from last year's.

Now, I have no diubt that Sherrill can be a solid piece in our pen for the next few years...That's not the debate..The question is, do you hang onto him and hope he ends the year well and then look to move him or do you say there are too many warning signs out there and you just trade him now?

People keep saying this but it makes no sense to me.

First of all, if he struggles as a closer and goes back to being a LOOGY, he will likely never be an AS again and won't have a big number under that "S" column, therefore he won't be worth nearly as much.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we can get LaRoche for him straight up and we pass and Sherrill is a LOOGY from June of next year until he leaves the team....There is no way Sherrill, as a LOOGY, is worth more than a young third baseman with AS potential.

So, this idea that we don't need to trade him right now is silly if you put into the context of the way you are here....That is the exact reason why we should trade him...because he may revert back to being a closer...Because he has a high walk rate, high FB rate, etc....We don't know how he is going to react the last 2 months of the season when his workload gets greatly increased from last year's.

Now, I have no diubt that Sherrill can be a solid piece in our pen for the next few years...That's not the debate..The question is, do you hang onto him and hope he ends the year well and then look to move him or do you say there are too many warning signs out there and you just trade him now?

But what's more valuable: an AS closer, or a young 3bman with AS potential??

Archived