Rough start for Chance Sisco

ChuckS

On 5/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tony-OH said:

Spring speed is defined with statcast and is a great tool to determine how fast a guy can run at max speed. Foot speed is how quick can a player get moving from a dead stop. Soe guys are fast when on the move, but takes them awhile to get moving. Typically your best foot speed infielders will be your SS and 2B since they have to cover the most ground. 

Foot speed can also be synonymous with first step quickness.  

I think JJ Hardy is a great example of this. Very strong defensively, not elite range but good lateral quickness and certainly wasn’t a negative in that department. Looked like he had cement in his shoes on the base paths though. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Sisco hits a two run home run in the first inning against Columbus.  OPS was at .890 coming in to today, has to be over .900 now.

Really rooting for him to join the team soon and get some starts at C.

Has he learned how to play his position?

Apologies for the snark, but I'm pretty sure he would've been in Baltimore a month ago if it was just about his bat. However, I agree that at some point they need to put him behind the plate 4 days a week for a month or two and see what we have. If he can't cut it behind the place, they'll need to get creative and spend the offseason trying to coach him up into another position. I have always felt that the bat could play in the majors, but it plays best behind the plate. If he can't stick, then it's anyone's guess.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how folks act like he is a complete incompetent back there.  Or that the guys we have up right now are defensive wizards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He wouldn't have made it all the way to Triple-A if he were completely incompetent. But this is the second Front Office/Coaching pair that has looked at some eye-popping offensive numbers and determined his defense was deficient enough to not bring him up. He's only caught 16% of baserunners this year, which is the worst of his career. He's allowed 3 passed balls so far this season. In 2017 he allowed 4 in 3x as many games. I'd like to see him up in Baltimore soon so we can get a better answer as to whether or not he can play the position adequately to stick. 

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how folks act like he is a complete incompetent back there.  Or that the guys we have up right now are defensive wizards.

Or that his bat is a sure thing after being completely overmatched last year.

4 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

But this is the second Front Office/Coaching pair that has looked at some eye-popping offensive numbers and determined his defense was deficient enough to not bring him up. 

Until recently, his numbers haven't been eye popping for a while. He's been a below-average defensive catcher with a non-impact bat. That's certainly what he was last year. 

I think the only defense of his defense has been that defense just doesn't matter that much. I tend to think that ML teams disagree with that idea, but I really don't know.

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Another homer today. Cool.

Make that 2 today.  That probably pushes his OPS over .900 (maybe .910?) in AAA this year.  He likes those juiced... er major league baseballs.    

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Make that 2 today.  That probably pushes his OPS over .900 (maybe .910?) in AAA this year.  He likes those juiced... er major league baseballs.    

Certainly likes them a lot more than last season.

Rickard crushed one out today and so did Flaherty. Those balls are more juiced than Bonds.

Archived