Rough start for Chance Sisco

ChuckS

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Make that 2 today.  That probably pushes his OPS over .900 (maybe .910?) in AAA this year.  He likes those juiced... er major league baseballs.    

OPS to .930.

Per BP, Sisco’s defense is a 3-6 runs per season below average, taking everything into account including throwing, blocking and framing.   That’s pretty trivial if the guy’s bat will be anything close to what it’s been in the minors.    So to me, it all comes down to whether he can hit major league pitching.    I think Wynns gets a few more weeks to start hitting, and if he doesn’t, the two will be flipped.  

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OPS to .930.

Per BP, Sisco’s defense is a 3-6 runs per season below average, taking everything into account including throwing, blocking and framing.   That’s pretty trivial if the guy’s bat will be anything close to what it’s been in the minors.    So to me, it all comes down to whether he can hit major league pitching.    I think Wynns gets a few more weeks to start hitting, and if he doesn’t, the two will be flipped.  

And theoretically, Sisco should get a bit better defensively with more MLB experience.  Catchers seem to take longer to develop.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone needs to play this year.

Someone needs to play for at least part of next year.

I would think all of next year and part of 2021.  First half of next season in Frederick and second half in Bowie.  April/May 2021 in Norfolk before a big league promotion and that's if everything goes well.  That would be comparable to the progression of Matt Wieters who was the number one prospect in all of baseball.  

This FO hasn't proven to be very aggressive with promotions so I would be very surprised to see Rutschman up at all in 2020. 

17 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would think all of next year and part of 2021.  First half of next season in Frederick and second half in Bowie.  April/May 2021 in Norfolk before a big league promotion and that's if everything goes well.  That would be comparable to the progression of Matt Wieters who was the number one prospect in all of baseball.  

This FO hasn't proven to be very aggressive with promotions so I would be very surprised to see Rutschman up at all in 2020. 

In this case, you really do need to consider the service time issue.   We aren’t contending next year, so no reason to push him to the majors at the earliest possible time.    I think late April 2021 is the earliest we’d see him, and that would only happen if he was Wieters-level dominant in the minors.   

39 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I was hoping he (assuming we draft him) could spend some time in Frederick this summer and be ready for Bowie in April. The best player in college baseball ought to be ready for the Carolina League.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I was hoping he (assuming we draft him) could spend some time in Frederick this summer and be ready for Bowie in April. The best player in college baseball ought to be ready for the Carolina League.

I expect they will be very deliberate with him as they've been with our other top prospects.  No need to waste a year of team control on a 100 loss team. 

Archived