Bundy has been atrocious, is his future as a closer?

Rene88

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

It worked for the best reliever in the history of the sport.   Usually a move to the bullpen DOES result in an increase in velocity at least.    You're right it probably won't help location.   I'm not saying it definitely will work.  But it does seem like this whole starting pitcher thing is likely NOT going to at all.........so................isn't this the time to try?

That's the thing, it's easy to cherrypick examples...Rivera, Eckersley...I just don't think Bundy has the stuff to do it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bundy doesn't look like an effective high leverage reliever to me but watching him today he may need to pitch fewer innings/pitches. If you took him out after 4 today he would have had a great game. Even after the 5th it wasn't great but you would have limited the damage.

Sadly the guy is just playing with fire with his fastball even on a day like today where the secondaries are good.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's the thing, it's easy to cherrypick examples...Rivera, Eckersley...I just don't think Bundy has the stuff to do it.

I tend to agree with you and Tony. That said if there was ever a team to try it with it’s a bad team. We are that. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I tend to agree with you and Tony. That said if there was ever a team to try it with it’s a bad team. We are that. 

Sure, I don't disagree that this is the time and place to try it.  But then who takes his spot in the rotation?  Not like we're contending, but someone's gotta start.  

I think Bundy is pitching for his rotation spot.   When Cobb comes back on the 17th the O's will have 6 starters.  Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Bundy, Means and Straily.   One should go to the pen.  The way Bundy is pitching it could be him.

Bundy is not a closer.

I credit Bundy for 4 earned runs today.   The last two are on Hyde.  Bundy was done after 5 innings and Hyde did not pull him.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know that his fastball is good enough to be a closer.    

This. Britton was able to crank up his velocity coming out of the bullpen. I don’t have much faith Bundy can pitch 95+ MPH for him to be an effective closer. 

Also Bundy’s fastball is often very straight and hittable.

24 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Certainly has to be up there, but I think the injury tempered expectations for me a bit.  He was probably the final straw that let me learn to not get too excited over pitching prospects until they're succeeding in the majors.

What's hard though is you gotta wait even longer than that. Bundy had some really nice double digit strike out games his first couple years paired with good results. And now this. I guess he had the injury history to be concerned about. And then really I wonder if it was that shoulder beyond the TJ. Because post TJ he was still mid 90's, if I remember correctly. And was throwing all his pitches in some of those starts where he dazzled. 

We have the promotion of a lifetime staring us in the face.

Chris Davis vs. Dylan Bundy in a simulated game

If Chris Davis can get a home run before making 9 outs he is the winner

We are looking at the worst position player in baseball vs. the worst single season starter and all time single season HR record setter (if he is allowed 25 starts). We will never see two players this bad on a ML roster ever again.

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We have the promotion of a lifetime staring us in the face.

Chris Davis vs. Dylan Bundy in a simulated game

If Chris Davis can get a home run before making 9 outs he is the winner

We are looking at the worst position player in baseball vs. the worst single season starter and all time single season HR record setter (if he is allowed 25 starts). We will never see two players this bad on a ML roster ever again.

In other news...Trevor Rosenthal finally got an out and lowered his ERA from infinity to 72.00 after 5 appearances.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I credit Bundy for 4 earned runs today.   The last two are on Hyde.  Bundy was done after 5 innings and Hyde did not pull him.

Whatever judgment one might make under other circumstances, Hyde had to consider that his starters had gone 3 and 3.1 innings the two previous games, and generally, his bullpen is running on fumes.   Bundy had thrown 83 pitches entering the 6th.  I don’t fault Hyde for trying to push Bundy a little further under these circumstances.    It just didn’t work out.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Whatever judgment one might make under other circumstances, Hyde had to consider that his starters had gone 3 and 3.1 innings the two previous games, and generally, his bullpen is running on fumes.   Bundy had thrown 83 pitches entering the 6th.  I don’t fault Hyde for trying to push Bundy a little further under these circumstances.    It just didn’t work out.   

Exactamundo.   

BTW, there are already two current threads to second-guess Hyde if one were inclined to do so.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

What say you? Have heard this before but curious if it is too soon to give up on him as a SP?

He seems similar to Chris Tillman last year. His fastball speed is way down and everyone is homering off of him.  Do whatever we did with Tillman. 

Archived