Adam Hall 2019

Frobby

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

More like Orlando Arcia vs Whit Merrifield, although both of those outcomes are discounting the risk of failing to adapt to advanced pitching (a relatively small risk, but a risk nonetheless).

Can you translate that to 5 years ago prospect speak?

5 for 6 tonight 4 runs 2 rbi.  Now hitting .365 obp .466 ops 896. He is just dominating right now.  If he had any power he is one of top players in the game , even without it be intersting to see if he can crack top 100 without the power.

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

5 for 6 tonight 4 runs 2 rbi.  Now hitting .365 obp .466 ops 896. He is just dominating right now.  If he had any power he is one of top players in the game , even without it be intersting to see if he can crack top 100 without the power.

Also stole a base.  I was actually disappointed in his tremendous box score performance - all singles.  He needs to hit doubles before we can really take him seriously as a legit prospect, imo.    

Up to 2nd in AVG league-wide behind KJ Harrison from the Gio Gonzalez trade last August - given the Shorebirds start, perhaps an early favorite for Sally MVP.

I haven't dug deeply into his power profile but if Corn is optimistic, that's something.  He has decent size and power is often last to develop - with his man strength and major league baseballs I doubt he'll be a zero.  To the extent I look at him in a basket with Bannon, Carmona, Grenier and Encarnacion where I'm hoping for one good 0-6 infielder for the next good team, his is the most exciting start so far.

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Also stole a base.  I was actually disappointed in his tremendous box score performance - all singles.  He needs to hit doubles before we can really take him seriously as a legit prospect, imo.    

I really get tired of the need for power idea.  If he hits over .300 with walks and stolen bases in the majors as a lead off hitter, does he need power?  With age and filling out, he'll probably get some without trying.  It would not surprise me if McKenna's poor start is due to attempts to change his swing to give him more power.  The Orioles could once again destroy what works.

10 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I really get tired of the need for power idea.  If he hits over .300 with walks and stolen bases in the majors as a lead off hitter, does he need power?  With age and filling out, he'll probably get some without trying.  It would not surprise me if McKenna's poor start is due to attempts to change his swing to give him more power.  The Orioles could once again destroy what works.

If he doesn’t have power, he won’t have many walks. He’ll have to strike out less to hit .300 in the majors. Don’t get me wrong, I like Adam Hall, I’m just trying to keep expectations reasonable. There aren’t many MLB regulars who only hit 20% flyballs, it’s a narrow path to success. I said the same thing about Richie Martin. Now Hall is younger and has more strength to gain and time to change. 

22 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

To the extent I look at him in a basket with Bannon, Carmona, Grenier and Encarnacion where I'm hoping for one good 0-6 infielder for the next good team, his is the most exciting start so far.

Add Mountcastle and Rutschman and you have the makings of a solid start to an infield by about 2021. We probably need to add from the outside, but I take that as a given even for the outfield, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

If he doesn’t have power, he won’t have many walks. He’ll have to strike out less to hit .300 in the majors. Don’t get me wrong, I like Adam Hall, I’m just trying to keep expectations reasonable. There aren’t many MLB regulars who only hit 20% flyballs, it’s a narrow path to success. I said the same thing about Richie Martin. Now Hall is younger and has more strength to gain and time to change. 

I take your point about Hall’s FB rate being similar to Martin’s, but at least so far he looks like a much better hitter than Martin, who at age 20 was OPSing .695 in the NY-Penn League.   Hopefully he’ll continue to develop.    

43 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Add Mountcastle and Rutschman and you have the makings of a solid start to an infield by about 2021. We probably need to add from the outside, but I take that as a given even for the outfield, to be honest.

I hope for a Machado-type centerpiece on the 2022 infield too - right now, that's the FA year for Baez, Lindor, Correa, Seager and Story.  If I had to give one litmus test now how to evaluate the success of Elias's first 3 years, it'll be are we in position to be a legitimate destination for one of those guys?  The warm-up may be are we ready for the Jayson Werth/Eric Hosmer "year in advance" guy 18 months from now.

Unless we deem Mancini to have found a new level he can sustain and opt not to sell high, 2022's team can probably pay $90M to 3 studs, Davis's last $21M, and at or near the league minimum to everyone else, to fit under the $150M we averaged over the first 3 years of Davis's contract

It looks like for this year's draft Rutschman may be a little better than usual 1-1; if we luck out again with that next summer and can choose in June 2020 someone who can hit the field in June 2022, that'll be about when I hope we can make Aaron Judge feel like an "old 30" and Mookie Betts wonder who all these old guys and scrubs around him are.

Archived