Adam Hall 2019

Frobby

17 hours ago, Ruzious said:

“I think of Trea Turner when I see him because I missed on Turner. I missed on Turner because I thought he was too small. I didn’t really think his arm was going to play across the infield, and I underestimated how his speed plays his game up, and I think Hall is starting to turn into a similar type of player.”

Gotta say, I think that sounds absurdly optimistic.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  

Yes, I’d say that’s quite optimistic.    Turner had more power than Hall from the jump.    But Hall’s a good prospect.   

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Not a very good video to evaluate his swing. You can see that he doesn’t get the tilt that he needs. I do disagree that he’s staying connected. But it’s a poor angle to really make an absolute judgement on that.  He has what looks almost like an awkward chop on quite a few of those swings as well.  I would love to see an angle from the first base dugout angle. I could give a better evaluation from that angle, head on. 

Yeah, there are some bad swings there and open side would be better. 

Is it pretty much a given that his current swing won't play in the majors?

If so why aren't they breaking it down and working on a new one like they did with Stewart?

Even if he loses a full season rebuilding his swing he won't be at a bad age for his level.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it pretty much a given that his current swing won't play in the majors?

If so why aren't they breaking it down and working on a new one like they did with Stewart?

Even if he loses a full season rebuilding his swing he won't be at a bad age for his level.

Its a completely different crew in charge of player development from when Stewart came in. Doubt they had a lot of time before the season to evaluate him and create a plan. They are probably still getting to know him. 

They also started tearing down Stewart’s swing the day he walked into the building. It has to be difficult for any coach to look at a kid who is performing among the best of his peers and tell him to change something that will likely have negative impact on his game in the short term. 

Stewart should be given big kudos for what he accomplished. It takes a lot of mental toughness to drop something that’s gotten you to where you are, struggle with the new approach and not want to run back to that comfort zone. Until Hall hits a level where his swing doesn’t play, it may be difficult to convince a player to make a drastic change. 

Long way of saying I agree but it’ll be difficult. 

4 hours ago, higgybaby said:

Not a very good video to evaluate his swing. You can see that he doesn’t get the tilt that he needs. I do disagree that he’s staying connected. But it’s a poor angle to really make an absolute judgement on that.  He has what looks almost like an awkward chop on quite a few of those swings as well.  I would love to see an angle from the first base dugout angle. I could give a better evaluation from that angle, head on. 

Agree. From this angle, the hips look to be opening early.  This could lead to slapping and could explain the lack of power and lift, if we're correct.  What are the best ways to fix this?  Timing mechanisms, drilling? I happen to have the same problem, albeit in softball.

28 minutes ago, joelala said:

Agree. From this angle, the hips look to be opening early.  This could lead to slapping and could explain the lack of power and lift, if we're correct.  What are the best ways to fix this?  Timing mechanisms, drilling? I happen to have the same problem, albeit in softball.

Agree. Looks like his plate coverage is below average. The easy cheat for this is to move closer to the plate. That doesn't fix the fundamental balance/tempo issue he might be having though, and it'll likely create a new problem on the inner half.

• 2 weeks later...

What do folks think the Os have Hall working on with his swing?  Is it addressing balance, tempo and tilt, plate discipline (in the video, he took several strikes and had several swings at pitches outside the zone) and/or driving the ball for more xbh?  I think there are some good tools to work with, and one would hope that the Os keep it simple with a young hitter, but there is work to be done.

Archived