TUE July 28th vs...them

Saintbird

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Can we all just agree that the fact he's basing his facial hair from Johnny Ringo in Tombstone is about the coolest facial hair we've seen?  
    • Yeah, another thing we’re not going to see from Westburg is head slapping plays where you wonder WTF he was thinking, or plays where he misses the ball because he didn’t attempt to field it in the proper way.  So that’s all good.  
    • Santa is chasing out of the zone 10% than last year so far.  And he's making contact 6-7% more often while chasing too... His HH% on 4S is half of what it was last year. PU% is 17% compared to MLB average of 7%. 1st pitch swing is up 8%.  13% more than league average.  Is it a bat speed thing?  He's hitting CH much better than norm.   As a team, the O's seem more aggressive at the plate.  Is that messing with what's worked for him the last few years?  Hopefully, Santa can get back to being more selective.
    • You are right that it’s a good matchup, with the Twins slumping and missing various players.  Hopefully he can take advantage.  I was at the spring training game where he dominated the Phillies, so I’ve seen what he can do when he’s at his best.  I doubt Hyde sends him out there past 5 innings no matter what, but he’s thrown 6 IP for Norfolk this year, so we’ll see how it goes.  
    • There is no metric yet on statcast that measure just arm value from an infielder, only arm strength. Now, OOA takes into consideration the difficulty of the play in comparison to others so that would indicate the ability to throw is measured in that overall.  So the best we can do is go by is OOA and Westburg has been worth 0 OAA, and -1% success added so far. Now, there is no doubt Westburg has below average arm strength for a 3B. His 80.2 MPH avg last year was 21st percentile last year with AVG 3B being at 86.2 AVG. We don't have enough data for his AVG arm strength this year but his max throwing speed is about the same as last year (less than a MPM difference lower).  I've seen a few plays this year where he came in and I thought if he had a stronger arm, I think that play gets made. How much that will limit his effectiveness remains to be seen, but I see nothing overall that makes me think he can't be average on the hot corner overall. Like you said, we're not going to see those amazing backhand to gun throws to nail runners like we've seen from Machado or Gunnar, but he's going to be steady. 
    • I have a funny feeling. I think he’s going to give us 6-7. It’s a great matchup for him and he has much to prove.
    • I’ll take above average as well. I was trying to think of player comps to Westburg. It may be high hopes but in a smaller park I get Marcus Simeon vibes. Where he’s a consistent good player with a breakout year or two. Other name that came to mind was Mike Lowell.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now