Cabrera ejected...

The Wedge

If he wasn't just filling in, he's have a helluva lot more than 53 games over 2 years.

Face it, the guy is a sub. There's no excuse for MLB using subs as umps.

These guys aren't guys off the street or HS umpires.

The "subs" are fine. And if MLB hired more umpires, it'd just be the 22 guys they have as subs, who all work MLB ST games anyways, that got the jobs.

Your argument that the minor league subs that do games as needed not being qualified umpires has zero merit.

There are 68 umpires on the MLB roster, and 22 qualified minor league subs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/roster.jsp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he wasn't just filling in, he's have a helluva lot more than 53 games over 2 years.

Come on, this is a ridiculous argument. A sub is an ump. I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I do not have any issues with DC being thrown out.

The Os had just opened the game up with a big inning, DC might have been pulled soon anyway and ARod hit a HR in his previous at-bat.

I'll never agree with anyone who tries to explain as coincidence how a major league pitcher can throw 90 or so pitches (don't know exact number) in a night without hitting a batter, but plunks the best hitter on the other team who had also hit a home run in his previous at-bat.

If the situation were reversed, and the Os trailed 6-1 and Markakis was plunked after hitting a HR in his previous at-bat, this board would be howling.

The Os had just opened the game up with a big inning, DC might have been pulled soon anyway and ARod hit a HR in his previous at-bat.

I'll never agree with anyone who tries to explain as coincidence how a major league pitcher can throw 90 or so pitches (don't know exact number) in a night without hitting a batter, but plunks the best hitter on the other team who had also hit a home run in his previous at-bat.

If the situation were reversed, and the Os trailed 6-1 and Markakis was plunked after hitting a HR in his previous at-bat, this board would be howling.

How quickly many conveniently forgot that the last time we were in NY THEIR pitcher was ejected...Everyone was so quick with their "Yankee fan ump" crap that they forgot about Hawkins. This board tends to be a bit hypocritical at times.

Although I don't think that Cabrera should have been thrown out.

I can't believe anybody actually thinks Cabrera threw at him on purpose. Thats a joke. And if you don't think that, then you must think that the ump was in the wrong.

Hawkins quite obviously threw at us the last time. Even got himself suspended, IIRC. That clearly wasn't the case this time.

I think the people saying it was a "Yankee umpire" are as off base as anyone saying that Cabrera hit him on purpose. Thats a ridiculous notion as well. It was just a poor job fo realizing what was going on by the umpire. He made a horrendous, indefensible call. But, I don't think he did so because he was in Yankee stadium and it was a Yankee getting hit.

I can't believe anybody actually thinks Cabrera threw at him on purpose. Thats a joke. And if you don't think that, then you must think that the ump was in the wrong.

Hawkins quite obviously threw at us the last time. Even got himself suspended, IIRC. That clearly wasn't the case this time.

I think the people saying it was a "Yankee umpire" are as off base as anyone saying that Cabrera hit him on purpose. Thats a ridiculous notion as well. It was just a poor job fo realizing what was going on by the umpire. He made a horrendous, indefensible call. But, I don't think he did so because he was in Yankee stadium and it was a Yankee getting hit.

Exactly...It was just typical irrational thinking where the Yankees are involved. Of course he wasn't throwing at him, and of course it had nothing to do with the Yankees. He would've overreacted if the O's were in Kansas City also.

Some of the lunatics in the game thread were bringing up Jeffrey Maier, conspiracies against the Orioles...etc. Just ridiculous stuff.

I think this is exactly right.

Nothing has made me that mad in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire:

I want this ump punished:mad:

There's nothing really to punish him for..He made a judgement call. Granted, a BAD judgement call, but you can't punish for it i wouldn't think.

jjdman said he had 53 games behind home plate in the past two years. That probably means he has umpired ~200 games. If he were a minor league ump filling in for spot duty he probably wouldn't have been behind the plate at all as you would think they'd put one of the veterans in the most important spot. Anyway I've certainly heard the name Chad Fairchild batted around enough to think he's a regular big league ump. Besides, what are they supposed to do when umpires take sick days... just play one umpire short? Using a AAA umpire makes a lot more sense to me.

As a matter of fact, Hawkins was suspended for 3 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/briefingroom?playerId=3176

How quickly many conveniently forgot that the last time we were in NY THEIR pitcher was ejected...Everyone was so quick with their "Yankee fan ump" crap that they forgot about Hawkins. This board tends to be a bit hypocritical at times.

Although I don't think that Cabrera should have been thrown out.

The reason Hawkins was tossed was that he threw at Luke Scott's head not once, but twice. The benches also emptied when that happened. If you watched the game last night, the only person out of the dugout when Cabrera was tossed was Trembley.

Anyone who thinks the ump tossed Cabrera because it was to help the Yanks/screw the O's, then you are just as clueless as the umpire himself.

As a matter of fact, Hawkins was suspended for 3 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/briefingroom?playerId=3176

The reason Hawkins was tossed was that he threw at Luke Scott's head not once, but twice. The benches also emptied when that happened. If you watched the game last night, the only person out of the dugout when Cabrera was tossed was Trembley.

Anyone who thinks the ump tossed Cabrera because it was to help the Yanks/screw the O's, then you are just as clueless as the umpire himself.

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. Hawkins was completely blatant, and Cabrera's wasn't. My whole point is to the "fans" who always want to make it about favoring the Yanks and "hating" the Orioles. Ridiculous crap. Just wanted to remind them of it, that's all. Some people around here just do not have the ability to think rationally regarding the New York Yankees..

Archived