Can Means become the Orioles’ version of Kuechel?

Obando

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of Jackson, he’s now hitting .241/.371/.310 in AAA.    People had cited his stats from his first 4-5 games, but he’s come back to Earth and is hitless in his last four games.     It will be interesting to follow how he does.   

I think he would also have been a guy of trends. Would he have improved over time or not? He’s hitting .241 in AAA but before hen he was in A, wasn’t he? Or AA? So even though we sent him back he’s still moved up a level or two.

he would have scuffled at first in the Bigs, but there’s a possibility he would have improved enough to be worthwhile. I wish he’d had that chance.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering that Weight has since been DFA'd what difference does it make?

Could’ve kept Jackson and wouldn’t have needed to add Wilkerson to the 40-man.    So it boils down to which one you’d rather have. 

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think he forgot Martin. His bat is awful. Should be a defensive replacement at best. He is currently last (#31 of 31) in MLB among SS (>50 AB) with -0.6 WAR.

Saved the game last night IMO. Givens was ready to cough that lead up and he made an outstanding play. Not bad for a AA player. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They might have preferred Wilkerson at this point anyway.

I think that’s entirely possible.    In fact, that might be one of the reasons they parted with Jackson. Jackson has his fans here based on his good spring training performance.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s entirely possible.    In fact, that might be one of the reasons they parted with Jackson. Jackson has his fans here based on his good spring training performance.

Both players have pretty similar minor league numbers, doesn't seem unreasonable to me that some in the organization may have preferred Wilkerson.

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Both players have pretty similar minor league numbers, doesn't seem unreasonable to me that some in the organization may have preferred Wilkerson.

The counterpoint is that on March 23, the O’s DFA’d Wilkerson to make room for Severino, and kept Jackson.  

This thread title, once seemingly ridiculous, is getting more and more traction with each silly 80mph invisiball swing and miss.

He hit 95 last night! 

That's elite stuff coming from a lefty who was never supposed to be that good. He probably needs more than just a get-me-over curve as a 3rd pitch, but shoot. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

This thread title, once seemingly ridiculous, is getting more and more traction with each silly 80mph invisiball swing and miss.

He hit 95 last night! 

That's elite stuff coming from a lefty who was never supposed to be that good. He probably needs more than just a get-me-over curve as a 3rd pitch, but shoot. 

His increase in fastball velocity helps a lot but hes also placing the ball really well, burying the heat on righties and finishing them off with a very good change up away.  Hes throwing almost 40% changes.

His other two breaking pitches are not great offerings right now but they as of yet arent liabilities either.  I agree one of those will need to improve.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

His increase in fastball velocity helps a lot but hes also placing the ball really well, burying the heat on righties and finishing them off with a very good change up away.  Hes throwing almost 40% changes.

His other two breaking pitches are not great offerings right now but they as of yet arent liabilities either.  I agree one of those will need to improve.

Per fangraphs, his average FB is 92. That's better, but not a weapon, per se. I'm not expert on what the data means, but his change is what sticks out.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=16269&position=P

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Per fangraphs, his average FB is 92. That's better, but not a weapon, per se. I'm not expert on what the data means, but his change is what sticks out.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=16269&position=P

It's a weapon when your change up is 80.  That better than normal separation makes the fastball play up. 

• Upvote 1