Minor League Game Summaries 4/18/2018

weams

Honestly, not sure I remember a time when we had some many guys off to good starts - especially with this balance of hitters and pitchers.  MiLB.com has Mountcastle as a lead story, has had GrayRod as a lead story, and we are seeing encouraging starts from both Halls, Knight, Neustrom and several more.  

Some good starts! DJ Stewart and GrayRod in particular are impressive. I wanted Stewart in Baltimore this year but we can't complain about Dwight Smith Jr. being given a chance so far. 

But if you're almost never going to take a walk (like Mountcastle or Jonesy or Salvador Perez), you'd better hit close to .300 or  at least provide defensive value. And Mountcastle isn't going to be a plus defender.

I'll go on record as saying I'm not a believer at all in Adam Hall even with his start.

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Honestly, not sure I remember a time when we had some many guys off to good starts - especially with this balance of hitters and pitchers.  MiLB.com has Mountcastle as a lead story, has had GrayRod as a lead story, and we are seeing encouraging starts from both Halls, Knight, Neustrom and several more.  

Interesting, I was thinking things were off to kind of a mediocre start — Hays, Kremer, Wells and a few others on the IL, Díaz, Ortiz, Tate and some others looking kind of disappointing.     And, all the teams besides Delmarva well under .500.   

11 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Some good starts! DJ Stewart and GrayRod in particular are impressive. I wanted Stewart in Baltimore this year but we can't complain about Dwight Smith Jr. being given a chance so far. 

But if you're almost never going to take a walk (like Mountcastle or Jonesy or Salvador Perez), you'd better hit close to .300 or  at least provide defensive value. And Mountcastle isn't going to be a plus defender.

I'll go on record as saying I'm not a believer at all in Adam Hall even with his start.

Can Mountcastle not even provide Dan Uggla level defense at 2nd?

2 hours ago, connja said:

What happened with Harvey?  Looks like he's been doing pretty well early in starts then hits a wall?  

He hasn’t had much command and the stuff gets softer as the pitch count gets up, guys start hunting FB and getting a lot of it middle middle. He needs reps, if you look at the amount of game reps he’s gotten, it’s extremely low. If this is still happening it the second half, maybe you start thinking relief.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He hasn’t had much command and the stuff gets softer as the pitch count gets up, guys start hunting FB and getting a lot of it middle middle. He needs reps, if you look at the amount of game reps he’s gotten, it’s extremely low. If this is still happening it the second half, maybe you start thinking relief.

I’m already thinking relief.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m already thinking relief.   

I went and watched the last start (already watched the first two), he couldn’t finish his offspeed stuff from the start. He was leaving both the splitter and curveball up, the movement on both pitches was great, the location not so much. The HR he allowed was on a first pitch chest high splitter. His fastball missed bats routinely, which is good, but he only had one effective pitch on the day.

Does Mason McCoy have any upside? Wasn't an exceptionally low draft pick and has a good to decent avg and OBP at all stops. This year he's had an exceptional start. I realize he doesn't have any power but is the defensive profile enough to stick if he can hit for average?

Archived