The Suck is in full swing now

bird watcher

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Our schedule is brutal. The only bad teams we played (Toronto, Boston) we won the series/split. This team isn't good but we haven't gotten a break.

The Red Sox are an excellent team. Their current record does not make them a "bad" team.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am with you.  The 4-13 speaks for iiself but I can see this team getting better.   

Cobb can be the starter he was in the 2nd half last year.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in April. 

For Cobb and Cashner, I’ll just be happy if they can replicate their career ERA+, applied to the OPACY environment.    That would mean something like a 4.00 ERA for Cobb and 4.25 for Cashner.   Honestly, I’d sign in blood for that right now.    We got 4.90 and 5.29 from them last year, 11.88 and 4.97 so far this year.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Pull it together? They're all pitching exactly to be expected - except maybe Castro?

Just now, theocean said:

Pull it together? They're all pitching exactly to be expected - except maybe Castro?

No, they’re not.   There’s no real reason for them to be worse than last year’s staff.   It’s mostly the same guys, yet the team ERA is 1.22 runs higher than last year’s, which already was worst in the league.   I do not expect that to continue.    I don’t expect Cobb to post an 11.88 ERA, or Bundy a 7.79, or Straily an 8.59.   I expect things to get better from here.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For Cobb and Cashner, I’ll just be happy if they can replicate their career ERA+, applied to the OPACY environment.    That would mean something like a 4.00 ERA for Cobb and 4.25 for Cashner.   Honestly, I’d sign in blood for that right now.    We got 4.90 and 5.29 from them last year, 11.88 and 4.97 so far this year.   

I think that ship sailed for both of them. They are on the wrong side of the age-performance distribution and Cobb can't seem to stay healthy. 

7 hours ago, bird watcher said:

Season ends today; we draft 3rd. Any advantage we gained from having unknown pitchers/hitters is gone. All our players have a book out now and their flaws are showing.

Not a big surprise here but any illusion of competitiveness is gone with the wind.  

Let the race to the bottom begin. When does the mlb app start showing wildcard standings?  It makes it easier to track the 1 draft pick race.

It looks like us, the Royals, the Marlins and the Reds will be the big players.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think that ship sailed for both of them. They are on the wrong side of the age-performance distribution and Cobb can't seem to stay healthy. 

I liked the Cobb signing but he’s been atrocious. Has zero value at this point. Cashner has some value (not much) at least.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

You cant believe it? I have been saying it over and over again. The Orioles are much worse than their record indicates.  Wait until the bats cool off.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, they’re not.   There’s no real reason for them to be worse than last year’s staff.   It’s mostly the same guys, yet the team ERA is 1.22 runs higher than last year’s, which already was worst in the league.   I do not expect that to continue.    I don’t expect Cobb to post an 11.88 ERA, or Bundy a 7.79, or Straily an 8.59.   I expect things to get better from here.   

Bundy and Straily are on their way out.  It is like saying last year you thought Tillman was going to get better at this point.  They are worse because they dont have Gausman and Bundys shoulder is shot. I am not sure why it is so hard for you to understand.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Bundy and Straily are on their way out.  It is like saying last year you thought Tillman was going to get better at this point.  They are worse because they dont have Gausman and Bundys shoulder is shot. I am not sure why it is so hard for you to understand.

I’m just not able to comprehend baseball at your level.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just not able to comprehend baseball at your level.  

That's Ok.  Not everyone understands it. Just keep attending the games and cheering the team on.  We all can help in our own way.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I don't think we'd be any better with Gausman honestly. He'd be pitching for a team who isn't playing for much of anything before the season even started. In Atlanta, at least he has something to play for.

I know Cobb had a good finish last year, but I've never been all that impressed with him. He has had health issues pretty much his entire career and that takes it's toll on anyone eventually. I don't expect Cobb's ERA will get under 4.50 this year possibly not even under 5, but who knows? If Straily is healthy, a low to mid 4 ERA is a reasonable expectation along with a moderate to high WHIP. I think Bundy is all he ever will be and I don't expect him to get much better. I want to see him in the bullpen. He was at his best there throwing 97, but I'm not sure he can even do that anymore. Cashner is ok, but inconsistent. I don't expect things to get much better.. better, but not much better. I'd rather see Means in the rotation over Bundy.

The Cobb signing was a mistake and I wasn't all that thrilled with it at the time either. Even with a resurgence this year, I can't imagine he would be a hot commodity on the trade market. There's a reason he fell to the Orioles; no one wanted him. I don't imagine that has changed much. He will still have his hot streaks, but his 2013-2014 days are well behind him. More hits allowed, more home runs allowed and fewer K's. I don't see it getting better. He's certainly better than 11.88, though... at least, I hope he is. With all the injury issues he has had and continues to have, it's certainly possible that a sudden decline will occur with him. He's extremely fragile and has never pitched a full season. Never made 30 starts in a season or thrown 180 innings. Bedard was fragile and even he did those things at least once.

Archived