The Suck is in full swing now

bird watcher

4 hours ago, atomic said:

We should have hired someone from the Ray's.  They know how to rebuild without losing 110 games for 5 straight seasons.

How do you expect to be taken seriously after statements like that--Or are you just going nuclear?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Bowie is 3-14. Checked the minors, we don’t many people performing real well right now. It would be nice if we could find a decent 8 man bullpen. 

The pitching is worse than I thought. I figured as the season progressed it would get uglier and uglier. It started much earlier than I imagined. 

The entertainment value of the team is going down the tubes if the pitching doesn’t settle down at least a little. I went to bed during the Scott inning. 

I had no illusions about this team and so far I have enjoyed the effort of the position players but games like last night are 2018 like. That isn’t watchable. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The pitching is worse than I thought. I figured as the season progressed it would get uglier and uglier. It started much earlier than I imagined. 

Elias didn’t start working the waiver wire until ST started. It was like he needed to see these guys first or something. We just have a lack of depth, and talent in the .org. Theoretically, Means, Hess, Yac, and Yefry, have shown flashes as relievers, but they don’t get that luxury this year. This year everyone is having to scramble to cover innings. Our pitching staff definitely isn’t being coddled by defined roles and only pitching 1 IP stints. Not too many people are having sustained success. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias didn’t start working the waiver wire until ST started. It was like he needed to see these guys first or something. We just have a lack of depth, and talent in the .org. Theoretically, Means, Hess, Yac, and Yefry, have shown flashes as relievers, but they don’t get that luxury this year. This year everyone is having to scramble to cover innings. Our pitching staff definitely isn’t being coddled by defined roles and only pitching 1 IP stints. Not too many people are having sustained success. 

Someone like Cobb can really be an asset if he steps up. I know either way this team is awful but getting a solid start once every 5 days is a place to begin. Guy has been on DL twice already. 

What we are seeing is a pitching staff being exposed. It is snowballing and the bad thing is we are still in April.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I enjoyed the Elias missed on his first two top picks comment . Correa is a marginal player I guess.  

Yep. And McCullers was taken by the Astros in the same draft at #41.

Elias' "involvement and leadership in the organization's amateur draft efforts helped to rapidly elevate the Astros' talent pipeline to one of the best in baseball and furnished key pieces that contributed to the organization's 2017 World Series Championship."

It also says he was "a driving force behind the decision to select Carlos Correa with the first overall pick, and helped assemble a draft class that has produced nine Major League players thus far. Under Elias' direction, Astros drafts from 2013-2017 have already graduated an additional thirteen MLB players, including Alex Bregman."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-astros-draft-picks-during-mike-elias-tenure-in-houston-20181116-story.html

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:
Bartolo Colon SP        
Dallas Keuchel SP        
Chris Tillman SP        
Miguel Gonzalez SP        
James Shields SP        
Edwin Jackson SP        
Yovani Gallardo SP

Bartolo Colon or Jorge DeLa Rosa ain’t looking too bad right now. 

I'd love to see Bartolo. He hasn't been good in a while, but if the O's are going to suck - might as well look sexy while doing it.

12 hours ago, allquixotic said:

The problem is, we need about 25 great draft picks, not one. And we need them all in the same year. We can't build a contending team by bringing one player worth the name on their jersey into the organization per year.

We can't do it via trades, because we have NO ONE (except maybe Mancini) that other teams might consider buying. Even if Mancini miraculously yielded us a return like Bedard did, that wouldn't be enough because the absence of support around those 2-3 good players wouldn't make the team good.

We can't do it via raising the players we have in the minors today, because our player development has been proven to be horrific for a very long time. "Grow the arms, buy the bats", "Grow the bats, buy the arms", it doesn't matter -- we get an extremely small percentage of O's farm system players coming up to the big leagues with above-replacement level competency. And those who do find success, either take a long time to get good and then flame out VERY quickly (like Tillman) or have so much seniority and skill, that they're up for free agency quickly and we can't afford them (like Manny, Schoop, Wieters). But the prevailing winds are just that we can't develop players to be competitive unless they have such raw God-given talent that nobody can hold them back from greatness. And those guys end up playing for the Dodgers after long.

Yeah, this is a team without a future. There's absolutely no reason to expect we'll be able to field a .500 team in the next decade or so. Teams have been sold or moved city for less.

You should watch fewer games and look into CBD oil.  

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

How do you expect to be taken seriously after statements like that--Or are you just going nuclear?

What?  The Rays had one season where they lost 92 games but other than that it was a few seasons around .500 and then they are back being a good team.  Why do I want some joke of a team for 5 seasons?  Plenty of teams have gone from being bad to being good without being a joke of a team .  Even the Cubs who you guys mention all the time always won at least 60 games in a season. 

The A's never won less than 68 games in a season.  The same with the Brewers.  The Red Sox had a bad season and then turned it around.  This being terrible to be terrible is an excuse for owners to save money.  When the Astros were terrible they were the most profitable team in baseball. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

What?  The Rays had one season where they lost 92 games but other than that it was a few seasons around .500 and then they are back being a good team.  Why do I want some joke of a team for 5 seasons?  Plenty of teams have gone from being bad to being good without being a joke of a team .  Even the Cubs who you guys mention all the time always won at least 60 games in a season. 

The A's never won less than 68 games in a season.  The same with the Brewers.  The Red Sox had a bad season and then turned it around.  This being terrible to be terrible is an excuse for owners to save money.  When the Astros were terrible they were the most profitable team in baseball. 

I think this team unfortunately challenges the Mets record.

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

Outside of a six year run between 2008-2013, the Rays have never finished better than 13 games back from the Division winner and have only one .500 record or better (last year). This is what you hope for?

Now I do think the Rays management have done a good job of building a team under limited resources in a tough Division, but it's not like they have a sustained level of success yet to start clamoring for.

Archived