Trade value 2019

HowAboutThat

2 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Very seldomly I would say. I'm not talking about a player not playing up to their arbitration raise in hindsight, players on contracts do that too, but a player that wasn't going to live up to their raise in expected production I would think would get non-tendered, especially if it was their last year of control like Schoop.

None of this really matters, because ultimately Villar has been better than Schoop while we pay him less and control him a year longer, and we got a lotto ticket and possibly a reliever.

Matusz is one example, do you think he had a prayer at getting 3.9M on the open market in 2016?  Do you think 2014 Jim Johnson would have pulled in 10M AAV?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givens - Up

Mancini - Up

Villar - Same

Bundy - Up 

Cashner - Same

Rickard, Strailly, Castro - DFA’ville

Bleier - 2020

Trumbo/Cobb - Albert Belleville

Givens could bring a nice return.  Bundy could be a game changer.  Villar has been solid and can play SS.  Could we get anywhere near what we got last deadline?  Considering last deadline’s returns were really hampered by dumping O’day’s salary.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Givens - Up

Mancini - Up

Villar - Same

Bundy - Up 

Cashner - Same

Bleier - 2020

Givens could bring a nice return.  Bundy could be a game changer.  Villar has been solid and can play SS.  Could we get anywhere near what we got last deadline?  Considering last deadline’s returns were really hampered by dumping O’day’s salary.

I could see the Orioles moving Villar, Givens and Cashner for 2 top 100 prospects (40-100 range) and 4-5 organizational top 20s at this point in various deals.

Bundy is not consistent enough to pull anything worth trading him for and discussing trading Cobb at this point is about 1.5 years too early so I dont even understand everyone haranguing over three bad starts of an injured pitcher with 2.80 years of his deal left.  I just don't see them moving Mancini at this point either.

I do think there could be some interest in Means, Smith and Nunez if they keep it up, but they are controllable so I dont see the Orioles giving them up freely.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Givens - Up

Mancini - Up

Villar - Same

Bundy - Up 

Cashner - Same

Bleier - 2020

Bumping this thread.

Mancini - Cooled off but still on pace for best season as a pro. I think he now has biggest asking price with 3+ years of control.

Villar - Same

Bundy - Up. Solid month drops ERA from 6-7 to 4.5. Another month like this and his price could really shoot up.

Cashner - About the same overall as Bundy but only 1 year of control and less upside.

Givens - way down. No longer closing, looks lost. Matchup guy at best.

Alberto - hitting over .300, on pace for 2 WAR. Could be a sneaky option to flip.

Dwight Smith Jr. - Defense has been atrocious. Bat has cooled a bit. Could quickly rejoin the DFA list.

Broxton (new) - Seems to be bringing some energy. Could start climbing up the list.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bumping this thread.

Mancini - Cooled off but still on pace for best season as a pro. I think he now has biggest asking price with 3+ years of control.

Villar - Same

Bundy - Up. Solid month drops ERA from 6-7 to 4.5. Another month like this and his price could really shoot up.

Cashner - About the same overall as Bundy but only 1 year of control and less upside.

Givens - way down. No longer closing, looks lost. Matchup guy at best.

Alberto - hitting over .300, on pace for 2 WAR. Could be a sneaky option to flip.

Dwight Smith Jr. - Defense has been atrocious. Bat has cooled a bit. Could quickly rejoin the DFA list.

Broxton (new) - Seems to be bringing some energy. Could start climbing up the list.

Even with good few months, I don't see the DFA pickups as being anything.  Maybe if they have a solid year, and then next year, but there is nothing but SSS and Smith is a good example of why other teams won't offer much for them.  I'd imagine they have far more value on this team than anything we'd be offered back.

12 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Even with good few months, I don't see the DFA pickups as being anything.  Maybe if they have a solid year, and then next year, but there is nothing but SSS and Smith is a good example of why other teams won't offer much for them.  I'd imagine they have far more value on this team than anything we'd be offered back.

Broxton has 10 K's in 22 AB's.He would have been good for the Orioles, a few years back.Homer and strikeout team.He does have speed and at least is a centerfielder. Even though his defense has been average at best.Few games mean nothing. 

17 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Broxton has 10 K's in 22 AB's.He would have been good for the Orioles, a few years back.Homer and strikeout team.He does have speed and at least is a centerfielder. Even though his defense has been average at best.Few games mean nothing. 

10 Ks in 22 ABS? 

Wow! That’s....Oriolean. At least his defense is ok. I actually think Wilkerson has more upside. He might turn be a genuine daily player.

22 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But he’s a stud! 

Career 37.1% SO rate. Is that good? Chris Davis is 32% and he strikes out a lot.

21 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

10 Ks in 22 ABS? 

Wow! That’s....Oriolean. At least his defense is ok. I actually think Wilkerson has more upside. He might turn be a genuine daily player.

For his career, Broxton has a 37% strikeout rate.   Higher than Chris Davis’ career rate, and akin to what Davis has done the last couple of years.  If he could cut it to 30% he might be a guy worth keeping.   We need to work with him on that.   

Wilkerson is a very poor OF in my opinion.    I’m happy to have him as a superutility guy, but would not want to see him as an OF regular at any position, especially CF.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

10 Ks in 22 ABS? 

You know that an average major leaguer now strikes out six times per 22 at bats?  Willie Keeler once went 1252 plate appearances with six strikeouts.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For his career, Broxton has a 37% strikeout rate.   Higher than Chris Davis’ career rate, and akin to what Davis has done the last couple of years.  If he could cut it to 30% he might be a guy worth keeping.   We need to work with him on that.   

He's 29.  All non-pitchers who have struck out in 35+ percent of PAs through 29, min 500 PAs (K rate after 29 in parentheses):

Russell Branyan (30.5% in 1707 PAs, compared to 35% prior)
Miguel Sano (is just 26)
Joey Gallo (is 25)
Keon Broxton (is 29)
Taylor Teagarden (24% in 45 PAs)

That doesn't tell us much.  Branyan cut his K rate in his 30s.  But nobody else has ever struck out that much and had a career that lasted into their 30s.  The vast majority never got a season's worth of ABs.  Chanco Sisco is actually in the top 30 in PAs among players with a 35% K rate.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 29.  All non-pitchers who have struck out in 35+ percent of PAs through 29, min 500 PAs (K rate after 29 in parentheses):

Russell Branyan (30.5% in 1707 PAs, compared to 35% prior)
Miguel Sano (is just 26)
Joey Gallo (is 25)
Keon Broxton (is 29)
Taylor Teagarden (24% in 45 PAs)

That doesn't tell us much.  Branyan cut his K rate in his 30s.  But nobody else has ever struck out that much and had a career that lasted into their 30s.  The vast majority never got a season's worth of ABs.  Chanco Sisco is actually in the top 30 in PAs among players with a 35% K rate.

Thank you for the information. Makes me wish that Wee Willie Keeler were playing for us. Or, perhaps, that the pitchers that faced him were facing us, haha

Archived