Jason Bay traded to TB for Brignac/Niemann

Greg Pappas

Give the Rays some credit here in my biased opinion. Yesterday they thought they had a deal and Pittsburgh started chasing the 3-way to get something better out of them. Rays added Perez but nothing more, and when Pittsburgh said "not enough" Tampa said best of luck to you then. It could have worked out very badly, but it takes a pair to play that hand.

Horrible return for Bay. I hope there is more to this. Niemann is not going to be anything more than a good setup guy because of injury concerns. I would hope if this trade goes through that the pirates also have a Wilson for Kemp deal on the table ready to go.

Why the heck would the Dodgers trade Kemp for Wilson?:confused:

Bay is the type of guy you trade away in the offseason, so you absolutely know that your not making knee jerk decision. Trading Bay for the Pirates will determine the future for the pirates.

You think? He will be just one year from free agency at that point, so absent working out an extension as part of the deal he would seem to have less value. There will also be more options out there at that point.

The latest is Boston got back in there at the last moment. Unsure what is going on, but the Rays folks seem P.O.ed.

Archived