If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You would be saving a lot, maybe 2M?

But catchers are a lot more valuable than right handed first basemen.  Vaughn would have to end up another Goldschmidt.

But didn't people assume Grayson was an underslot guy last year and he signed about at slot?  Until you sign them, seems a bit risky.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jerios55 said:

But didn't people assume Grayson was an underslot guy last year and he signed about at slot?  Until you sign them, seems a bit risky.

When you pick 1-1 you can get a deal in place pretty easily before the draft.

I don't think draftees make a habit out of changing their demands once drafted.

I don't think Vaughn would be doing himself any favors by going back for his senior year.

3 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

That was because the draft media had him much lower but it came out that other teams were on him early and he wasn't going to make it much further than the O's. It's hard for the draft media or me for that matter to keep up when a high school player has a major profile change, but the Orioles (and other teams for sure) had someone at every start. 

Bonus demands often are at least somewhat related to where they'd fall if not picked at a given spot. If a player isn't going to fall otherwise, they have little reason to agree to below slot. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Depends what Rutschman turns out to be.   Let’s say he’s another Wieters.    Then Vaughn could be a lot worse than Goldschmidt.    But if Rutschman is another Mauer or Posey, that’s different.    

I get your point, but I do want to say that folks using Wieters as the bad outcome is really not that bad.  Obviously you hope/project him to be Posey (assuming you have a reason to project that upside), but it he ends up "just" being Matt Wieters, then that's not a horrendous outcome.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I get your point, but I do want to say that folks using Wieters as the bad outcome is really not that bad.  Obviously you hope/project him to be Posey (assuming you have a reason to project that upside), but it he ends up "just" being Matt Wieters, then that's not a horrendous outcome.

I mean Mike Zunino wouldn't be a horrendous outcome, but it sure would be disappointing.

I saw a MLB Network commercial for their draft show a few Mondays hence for the first time today - it said a 6PM start.  I wonder if they do an hour of preview before the teams start picking, or if I'll need to manage that rush hour carefully.  Whether it is Rutschman or not, I think it'll be the cornerstone of the next good team (though I'd love any current Oriole to make me wrong).

Would guess it'll be the busiest evening here of the post-Machado trade until next meaningful games in a couple years period, unless we get 1-1 again and next year's class has someone even beyond Rutschman's hype emerge.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

I saw a MLB Network commercial for their draft show a few Mondays hence for the first time today - it said a 6PM start.  I wonder if they do an hour of preview before the teams start picking, or if I'll need to manage that rush hour carefully.  Whether it is Rutschman or not, I think it'll be the cornerstone of the next good team (though I'd love any current Oriole to make me wrong).

Would guess it'll be the busiest evening here of the post-Machado trade until next meaningful games in a couple years period, unless we get 1-1 again and next year's class has someone even beyond Rutschman's hype emerge.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2019

Monday, June 3 - Day 1

6 p.m. - Draft preview show on MLB Network & MLB.com
7 p.m. - Rounds 1-2 on MLB Network & MLB.com

Tuesday, June 4 - Day 2

1 p.m. - Rounds 3-10 on MLB.com

Wednesday, June 5 - Day 3

12 p.m. - Rounds 11-40 on MLB.com

From a Baseball America Chat

• Alan (Nashville): In Ben's chat last week, he mentioned that he thought Rutschman would be "a top 10-15 prospect in baseball the moment he signs". Would you agree with this statement? Also where would the other 3 draft prospects (Vaughn, Witt Jr., and Abrams) of the top 4 slot in for you?

J.J. Cooper: I would disagree slightly with Ben's statement, I think Rutschman immediately is a top 10 prospect and may crack the Top 5. He's one of the best draft prospects we've seen in yeasrs. I'd say Witt ranks next best, but it's going to be a significant dropoff from Rutschman. Rutschman is a premium defender with a lengthy college track record of hitting. The risk profile on that is significantly lower than Witt, who is an excellent HS shortstop prospect, but that profile requires a little more proof in pro ball before he can rank comparably. Vaughn will be interesting, He's a very premium bat, but as a first baseman, it's harder for him to crack a Top 25 on a Top 100 prospects list until you have seen him do the same in pro ball with a wood bat.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

From a Baseball America Chat

• Alan (Nashville): In Ben's chat last week, he mentioned that he thought Rutschman would be "a top 10-15 prospect in baseball the moment he signs". Would you agree with this statement? Also where would the other 3 draft prospects (Vaughn, Witt Jr., and Abrams) of the top 4 slot in for you?

J.J. Cooper: I would disagree slightly with Ben's statement, I think Rutschman immediately is a top 10 prospect and may crack the Top 5. He's one of the best draft prospects we've seen in yeasrs. I'd say Witt ranks next best, but it's going to be a significant dropoff from Rutschman. Rutschman is a premium defender with a lengthy college track record of hitting. The risk profile on that is significantly lower than Witt, who is an excellent HS shortstop prospect, but that profile requires a little more proof in pro ball before he can rank comparably. Vaughn will be interesting, He's a very premium bat, but as a first baseman, it's harder for him to crack a Top 25 on a Top 100 prospects list until you have seen him do the same in pro ball with a wood bat.

Safe to say prospect fatigue isn't setting in?

Archived