If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

So, you're saying that you would rather draft the guys that turn out rather than those that don't, right?  (smacks forehead)  Wow, wish I had thought of that.

I'm sure Atomic will give Elias the benefit of the doubt if Rutschman isn't a star. I think I've seen Appel and Aiken in about 100 of his posts but never once has he mentioned Correa, Bregman, McCuellers, Whitley, Martin or Tucker. Teams would kill to have the Astros' draft success under Elias.  But Atomic hates him because he didn't sign barely above replacement level 31 year olds in the offseason.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I have a tough time getting excited about a drafting a catcher high in the draft let alone 1-1. I mean what do they play 120 games? The position itself isn’t exactly known for producing true difference makers that justify a 1-1 selection. When I think of drafting a guy 1-1 I want that guy to hopefully one day be in the conversation as being the best to ever play the game. When has a catcher ever been in that conversation? I’m not talking best player of all time but in his generation or just the league for the year? Has there ever? 

Yogi Berra was voted MVP three times. That's pretty dominant.

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Posey was pretty good

Posey was really good. Kind of makes you wonder that if Rutschman is really good with the bat - should he be moved to another position entirely to extend his career? Granted, Posey's bat isn't as valuable at another position.

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Yogi Berra was voted MVP three times. That's pretty dominant.

That’s one and sure if we look hard enough you might find somebody else but I think it’s fair to say the odds are quite a bit less favorable when it comes catchers.

Doesn’t history suggest that high school short stops drafted high in the first round go on to have better major league careers than catchers? Do we think Adley is going to change that Narrative? I mean Bobby Witt JR has been pretty darn impressive and he has a good bloodline/pedigree plays position that allows for him to play everyday if healthy is also a 5 tool player with all the intangibles. Does history suggest it’s more or less of a gamble to take the high school ss or college catcher?

Catchers play more than 120 games. From 2012-2017, Posey started an average of 140 games per year. With the DH, that number could be slightly higher. Hell, Wieters started at an average of 130 games at catcher in his prime.

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Doesn’t history suggest that high school short stops drafted high in the first round go on to have better major league careers than catchers? Do we think Adley is going to change that Narrative? I mean Bobby Witt JR has been pretty darn impressive and he has a good bloodline/pedigree plays position that allows for him to play everyday if healthy is also a 5 tool player with all the intangibles. Does history suggest it’s more or less of a gamble to take the high school ss or college catcher?

Over the last 35 years the only catchers taken #1 are Mauer and Surhoff, both All-Stars.

Shortstops drafted at 1-1 were Shawon Dunston, Chipper Jones, A-Rod, Matt Bush, Justin Upton, Tim Beckham and Carlos Correa.

Tough to say that the average player from the second group is much better than the first group.

41 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I care a little about history, but I care more about the evaluations of the two players.     

50 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Is he a five tool player?

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

fall for doubles and sometimes guys hit it 118mph into right someone's glove. But over a significant sample, better hit balls have better results, same as higher draft positions have better results. 

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

I have a tough time getting excited about a drafting a catcher high in the draft let alone 1-1. I mean what do they play 120 games? The position itself isn’t exactly known for producing true difference makers that justify a 1-1 selection. When I think of drafting a guy 1-1 I want that guy to hopefully one day be in the conversation as being the best to ever play the game. When has a catcher ever been in that conversation? I’m not talking best player of all time but in his generation or just the league for the year? Has there ever? 

My sentiments exactly.

I have no idea if Bobby Witt Jr. is the guy, but I want a stud 5 tool guy who projects to be either a SS or a CF. Shouldn't 1-1 get you a potential MVP type?

Too many issues and too much time to develop a ML catcher. 

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

My sentiments exactly.

I have no idea if Bobby Witt Jr. is the guy, but I want a stud 5 tool guy who projects to be either a SS or a CF. Shouldn't 1-1 get you a potential MVP type?

Rutschman has much, much less developing to do than Witt Jr or Abrams.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

My sentiments exactly.

Mauer was an MVP and was worth 5 WAR 5 times. He was in the minors less than 3 seasons.

Posey was an MVP and was worth 5 WAR 4 times. He was in the minors 1 year.

I can't believe you even mention developing when you are talking about wanting a HS kid instead...

Archived