If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Rutschman has much, much less developing to do than Witt Jr or Abrams. 

Not guessing who they should draft instead of Rutschman, just don't like investing that high in a catcher

Perhaps the memory of Wieters is too fresh in my mind.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, makoman said:

Mauer was an MVP and was worth 5 WAR 5 times. He was in the minors less than 3 seasons.

Posey was an MVP and was worth 5 WAR 4 times. He was in the minors 1 year. 

I can't believe you even mention developing when you are talking about wanting a HS kid instead...

Didn't say ( and don't know) who they should draft,  just saying on a team that has holes at every single position I wouldn't start plugging at catcher.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Rutschman has much, much less developing to do than Witt Jr or Abrams.

When the development is all said and done who do you project to be the better player and would say is most likely be in the hof one day?

Last 15 years top picks at catcher.

2018 - Joey Bart, #2

2017 - Luis Campusano, #39

2016 - Zack Collins, #10

2015 - Tyler Stephenson, #11

2014 - Max Pentecost, #11

2013 - Reese McGuire, #14

2012 - Mike Zunino, #3

2011 - C.J. Cron, #17

2010 - Yasmani Grandal, #12

2009 - Tony Sanchez, #4

2008 - Buster Posey, #5 - Kyle Skipworth, #6

2007 - Matt Wieters, #5

2006 - Maxwell Sapp, #23

2005 - Jeff  Clement, #3

2004 - Neil Walker, #11

2003 - Daric Barton, #28

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

Doesn’t history suggest that high school short stops drafted high in the first round go on to have better major league careers than catchers? Do we think Adley is going to change that Narrative? I mean Bobby Witt JR has been pretty darn impressive and he has a good bloodline/pedigree plays position that allows for him to play everyday if healthy is also a 5 tool player with all the intangibles. Does history suggest it’s more or less of a gamble to take the high school ss or college catcher?

History suggests that a lot more can go wrong with an 18-year old over the next few years than with a 21-year old. Those additional years of maturation can mean a lot.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The jury is still out on one of them.

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

Which?

Hit. The most important one, where if you fail you don't make it.

Now is that just nitpicking or prospect fatigue, or is it real? Who knows...we would have to trust Elias to make that call (he no doubt has personally scouted him)

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

When the development is all said and done who do you project to be the better player and would say is most likely be in the hof one day?

The HOF question is a ridiculous one, the most a team or scout or analyst looks at are the years of team control.

Rutschman, Witt Jr, and Abrams all have one of the best players in the league ceiling. Rutschman just is much closer to being that player right now than the other two.

1 hour ago, makoman said:

Hit. The most important one, where if you fail you don't make it.

Now is that just nitpicking or prospect fatigue, or is it real? Who knows...we would have to trust Elias to make that call (he no doubt has personally scouted him)

I’ve never seen that listed anywhere everything I’ve read says he has a plus hit tool. Do you have a link to a scouting report that supports that his hit tool is questionable?

7 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I’ve never seen that listed anywhere everything I’ve read says he has a plus hit tool. Do you have a link to a scouting report that supports that his hit tool is questionable?

MLB pipeline has it at a 50, which is up from the 45 it was earlier in the year. 

Reports are pitchers have center cut premium velocity fastballs to him and he's missed them.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not guessing who they should draft instead of Rutschman, just don't like investing that high in a catcher

Perhaps the memory of Wieters is too fresh in my mind.

What's wrong with the Wieters pick?  There have been what... 54 drafts?  Wieters is the 9th-best #5 overall pick of all time.

Archived