If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hard to believe the draft is only 11 days away.    Looking forward to it!   It’s my wife’s birthday, so I may need to tape the proceedings.   I’m pretty sure that “sorry honey, I know you’d like to go out but I need to watch this!” isn’t going to cut it.   

Thankfully, as a football fan as well, that draft is around my birthday each year.  So I can just say, I don't want gifts just give me the TV.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hard to believe the draft is only 11 days away.    Looking forward to it!   It’s my wife’s birthday, so I may need to tape the proceedings.   I’m pretty sure that “sorry honey, I know you’d like to go out but I need to watch this!” isn’t going to cut it.   

Our wives have the same birthday.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gotta ask her what her priorities are, Frobby.  

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't watch the draft, I'd rather concentrate on following here on the OH.

I find watching names being called pretty boring.

Incredibly boring.   But I’d enjoy the Rutschmann hype and maybe a live interview or two.    The great thing about picking 1-1 is you can skip the rest of it!

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Misuse of middle/high school coaches is one the 5 biggest issues I would say MLB needs to solve.

The NFL is, at least by appearances, putting serious pressure on all levels regarding concussions.

James Andrews released a tracking/usage app a few years ago because he had so many parents coming to his practice wanting to get their kids Tommy John surgery so they could "get it out of the way."  I'd be interested to see if this app had any traction, and if it did, what was the success/failure rate.  

But yes, it's a huge issue that needs to be solved, and why a lot of the teams that are pioneering the analytics revolution have focused more on positional players than pitching through the minors.  Then, electing to use trades/free agency to grow their stable of arms.  Lets take a look: 

Red Sox: Sale (trade), Price (FA), Rodriguez (trade), Porcello (trade), Eovaldi (trade, FA)

Cubs: Lester (FA), Hendricks (trade), Hamels (trade), Quintana (trade), Darvish (FA) 

Dodgers: Kershaw (draft), Buehler (draft), Ryu (posting/FA), Maeda (posting/FA), Rich Hill (trade/FA) 

Astros: Verlander (trade), Cole (trade), Miley (FA), Peacock (trade) Martin (draft) 

Yankees: Paxton (trade), Tanaka (posting/FA), JA Happ (trade/FA), German (trade), Sabathia (FA)

I just picked a couple of big fish.  Three teams have their entire rotation consisting of players picked up via trade or free agency.  One team has two starters that they have developed all of the way, and one for another.  

If you look at the lineups for each of those teams, they are littered with homegrown bats.  They grow the bats, and buy the arms once they have some kind of body of work with them, whether they are veterans like Paxton or Lester, posted from overseas like Tanaka and Ryu, with a few minor league trades sprinkled in with Hendricks and German. 

This is another reason why the prospect pipeline is so important.  Not every prospect is going to pan out, and not every prospect is going to play for you.  To put together a winner, you will have to trade some prospects to get more talent.  The Cubs traded Torres to get the closer they needed to put them over the top.  The Astros used their organizational depth to add Verlander and Cole, and the Cubs did the same adding Hamels and Quintana.  The Padres have a huge list on anyone's top 100 prospects, but not all of them will suit up in the majors for them.  

Original poll question, I answered trust the process. I know that’s blind worship to Atomic and maybe others. But there are some reasons to pass on a catcher if there is premium talent that will sign maybe for less. 

I will expect a meltdown if the Oregon St catcher isn’t drafted, but Witt or Vaughan would not bother me. Anyone else would raise a whole lot of eyebrows and not just here. Still I think we nab Rutschman. 

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Original poll question, I answered trust the process. I know that’s blind worship to Atomic and maybe others. But there are some reasons to pass on a catcher if there is premium talent that will sign maybe for less. 

I will expect a meltdown if the Oregon St catcher isn’t drafted, but Witt or Vaughan would not bother me. Anyone else would raise a whole lot of eyebrows and not just here. Still I think we nab Rutschman. 

There is no way you can rationalize picking a short right handed hitting first baseman over Rutschman.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

There is no way you can rationalize picking a short right handed hitting first baseman over Rutschman.  

Sure you can rationalize it.   Let’s say your evaluations and metrics say that Rutschman’s most likely outcome is Wieters, while the 1B’s most likely outcome is Steve Garvey.   Then you can rationalize it.    

As I’ve said before, I trust Elias, but if he chooses anyone other than Rutschman that guy had better turn out to be an absolute stud.    Whereas if he chooses Rutschman and he turns out to be a disappointment, nobody can really criticize the pick.   

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was not making a case to do so, I said one could and Elias might and it wouldn't bother me.  But I would prefer we not take a 1b simply becuase we have 197 of them.   As I said, I think Rutchman will be the choice, but I can see reasons to not do so too.  

I’m a big fan of Bobby Witt Jr and he’s been the guy I’ve wanted the O’s to take 1-1 but the more and more I hear, read and see about Rutschman makes me really like and want the kid. He’s impressive not just his play on the field but his character off it. He almost seems to good to be true which is kinda scary. 

Im sure some of already seen this but for those that haven’t here’s a video I really liked on him.

While he’s grown on me I’m still not going to jump off the bridge if we don’t take him. I’d also be happy with Witt, Vaughn, CJ Abrams it Hunter Bishop. Hunter Bishop has climbed up the draft ladder with an amazing 2019 he’s very intriguing and could be had for under slot allowing us to sign someone else later.

Archived