If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Fangraphs, the average value of the no. 1 pick is $45.5 mm, whereas the value of the no. 28 pick is $10.7 mm.   This year, the no. 2 pick for the team drafting 28th (69th pick overall) is worth $3.9 mm.    The remaining round 3-40 are worth $27 mm.    So, by that logic, the no. 1 overall pick is worth more than all 40 picks of the no. 28 team combined.   The problem with that logic is there’s a lot more risk in making one pick than there is in making 40.    

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-on-how-to-value-draft-picks/

I said this year. I think this year #1 overall pick has a higher chance of success than average. 

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Hallas said:

1: you can't find teams that are willing to trade 1:1 especially if the top draft pick fills an organizational need.  2: Even if you could, you can't do this too often because teams use the low rounds of a draft to fill out minor league teams.  If you went this route you'd have to do something really creative to field full rosters for all your minor league affiliates.  Imagine the haul that would be required for New Orleans in the NBA to give up their 1:1 (and as a result give up on Zion Williamson.) . 

I am sure you could find undrafted players and players other teams release from short-a and low-a to fill out your lower level rosters.  

A lot of the guys we draft don't make it past a year or two in Gulf Coast League or Aberdeen.  Same must happen with every other team.  Pick the best guys cut from other teams and you wouldn't have an issue.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I am sure you could find undrafted players and players other teams release from short-a and low-a to fill out your lower level rosters.  

A lot of the guys we draft don't make it past a year or two in Gulf Coast League or Aberdeen.  Same must happen with every other team.  Pick the best guys cut from other teams and you wouldn't have an issue.  

Not sure how happy your affiliates would be with that arrangement. Tough for them to market a losing team filled with nothing but castoffs from other teams.

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Not sure how happy your affiliates would be with that arrangement. Tough for them to market a losing team filled with nothing but castoffs from other teams.

You think Bowie is happy right now ?   

1 hour ago, atomic said:

If i had the 28th pick in the draft I would certainly trade all my picks this year for the #1 overall pick.  As the 2013 and 2014 years where the Astro's picked Appel and  Brady Aiken they didn't have much success at all in the later rounds I am not sure their strategy was all that effective. 

I'm positive that the expected value of the #28 pick in each round combined isn't as high as the #1 overall pick.  Beyond the first few rounds the average value of any pick is under one win.  Few, if any, teams would make that trade.  Maybe an expansion team with absolutely zero minor league depth.  But even then, probably not.

4 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Paywall up, but I can hit the highlights for the OH if anyone would like me to. 

When I see this below slot speculation and reports that they are considering four players, it makes my heart drop into my stomach.  Hopefully it's just GM speak and the slam dunk decision is made. 

Archived