If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It's kind of like that, but more, "hey Adley (Adley's advisor to be realistic) if we don't pick you, the Royals are locked in on Witt Jr and you'll fall to third overall (7.22M slot). So we are perpared to offer 7.5M, more than you'll get if we don't pick you."

I would laugh in their face and say the Royals already told me they would pay me overslot if I fell to them.  

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would laugh in their face and say the Royals already told me they would pay me overslot if I fell to them.  

Well it works every year, the teams have much more leverage high in the draft, especially with college juniors. You should be an advisor and drive a tougher deal than all the people currently doing the job. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Well it works every year, the teams have much more leverage high in the draft, especially with college juniors. You should be an advisor and drive a tougher deal than all the people currently doing the job. 

I wonder if Rutschman doesn't sign, has basically the same season as a senior, what type of deal he could get?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if Rutschman doesn't sign, has basically the same season as a senior, what type of deal he could get?

That'd be an interesting test. A foreign league would be his only real leverage. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

His leverage of staying in school would be gone.  He would be a year older. He may fall to the lower end of round one if it is thought that he is unsignable at slot.

8 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

I don’t think that will work. If I’m the Advisor I would respond that he might take a little less to go to Chicago at 3rd since they’re 500 and competing for the last wild card spot and he might get an immediate call up there which will start his MLB free agency service. With the Orioles he could spend two years in the Orioles farm system while the MLB club is rebuilt. He would also probably take a little less to stay on the West Coast and play for a more competitive San Diego at 5 as well. 

If you are Chicago or San Diego why would you blow your pool?  Offer him slot.  Offers are only going to go down from there unless the D Backs get involved.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

From Dan Connolly 

The highest bonus given to a top pick since the slotting began in 2012 was $7.5 million to Detroit’s Casey Mize last year, and that was roughly $600,000 under slot. So there likely will be some savings at No. 1 this year.

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

His leverage of staying in school would be gone.  He would be a year older. He may fall to the lower end of round one if it is thought that he is unsignable at slot.

It didn’t hurt Appel..  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are Chicago or San Diego why would you blow your pool?  Offer him slot.  Offers are only going to go down from there unless the D Backs get involved.

Because they get the number 1 guy.  If they don’t sign him they get the Fourth pick next year.  Seems like it would be a no brained to give him what he wants.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Appel was the eighth pick when drafted as a Junior.  He had room to move up in the draft.  Rutschman can't do better than #1.

Neither the White Sox or Padres are picking number 1.  And you can get #1 with full slot.  Which is better than #1 underslot.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Neither the White Sox or Padres are picking number 1.  And you can get #1 with full slot.  Which is better than #1 underslot.

I don't understand this post.

You offer him 500K underslot to go #1 overall.

What are the odds he can do better than that?

Appel went eighth so there was a chance he could improve his draft stock.

As for the Sox or Padres, does he want to drop down until the D-backs have a chance to pick him?  They have less incentive to give him 1-1 slot than the O's do.

Archived